Assistance in Importing and Rigging

Here is what I'm trying to do. I want to import Mars Marshall's republic gunship model, reposition the guns directly under the cockpit to be front facing, add more muzzle tags for weapons, re-rig the two turrets to act as automated guns (from what I can tell, you only need two bones for each gun) and making sure the muzzle tags follow the turret, all while keeping the original texture coordinates.

Before you point me at a few tutorials and say "good luck," I'd like to know if what I'm asking for (particularly texture wise) is possible, and which programs would be best suited for the job, considering ghoul2 is only supported by plugins and milkshape.

The turret deal is buggy though in the base game, it doesn't work very well, I got a model I made of the Outrider to have turrets but it was VERY buggy.

Importing the model and changing some things though is very doable but you're going to need to learn to use the program of choice before you attempt this.

The turret deal is buggy though in the base game, it doesn't work very well, I got a model I made of the Outrider to have turrets but it was VERY buggy.

Importing the model and changing some things though is very doable but you're going to need to learn to use the program of choice before you attempt this.

The NPC_vehicle entity in the map editor must have teams specified in the keys, otherwise the guns will shoot everything that even comes close. That goes for player spawns and other npcs as well. So auto turrets are only useable in team games. I finished up that space map I was doing for MBII and I thought the turrets worked extremely well in that. Perhaps we had different experiences.

The only issues I found were that turrets wouldn't always "shut off" after an enemy was gone, and might loose some low frequency shots in the last direction it was pointed in. That, and turrets had a hard time shooting things beyond their range of movement but would keep trying anyway, though that's expected. Surprisingly, they were extremely accurate, even when the server I was on was stress tested with 12 people.

So they're not "very buggy," but they could definitely be better.