First terrain, some issues

Guest KENNITHH
Go to solution Solved by Szico VII,

Guest KENNITHH

So I've started creating my first terrain with EasyGen (1.42) today, I'm already far (I guess) but I bumped into some issues.

First of all I would like to know if theres a faster way to exclude triangles then selecting them 1 by 1.

Why? : http://puu.sh/9v2vB/ba8f1eca62.jpg , the pink area has to be excluded, which are bout 4-5000 triangles maybe more

Second question is, how come some triangles go higher and lower ingame?

In easygen : http://puu.sh/9v2HH/783ba55e4a.jpg (same in gtk radiant)

Ingame : http://puu.sh/9v2TM/c5db99a622.jpg

Last question was related to the terrain textures which don't show but I guess I gotta dig deeper in that before I ask.

It may be easier to do the removal of the unwanted parts in Radiant since you can select stuff inside or touching a brush there.

Not sure about the textures, been ages since I used easygen... I think it may have been a matter of using the right shader templates, may have been something with Q3Map2 or Ydnar in its name? I seem to not have easygen installed anymore so I can't check. That is, if you want to use multi-texturing. If you just want 1 texture across the whole terrain it's just a matter of setting it during export, and if you did that it's probably one of the typical texture problems - not running sv_pure 0 in mp (and texture not in a .pk3), invalid texture size, unsupported texture format (like progressive jpegs) or incorrect compression on pk3 files.

As for weirdly positioned brushes, see if there's an option to align the map to the grid at export and do a brush cleanup in radiant.

Guest KENNITHH

Ahh, the awesome mrwonko here to help me out :D

Wouldnt removing the unwanted parts with radiant mess up the alpha map? I remember in my remake of Fueldump (W:Et) , by editing the terrain, the terrain ingame got very messed up, now i dont remember if I removed something or edited smth. I also read that you shouldnt touch the borders cause only then the alpha map gets messed up cause the alpha map wouldnt fit the terrain anymore.

There was a q3map2 shader indeed in EasyGen as a preset, but Ill try my old shader that I used for fueldump when Im back from work and do it manually. I really think its a shader issue because when the picture is progressive, it should give an error in console which it doesnt. I also had to mess around with this in the fueldump remake but using my old shader is probably gonna fix it.

And will do, Ill also optimize the terrain a bit more so its more flat on some areas and remove some unessesary areas which cant be seen.

But I think I can edit that in gtk too right, as long as i only work on the Y-axes.

And ye Im actually using 4 layers but just as a test, Ill repaint it when Im sure it all works fine

thanks mrwonko, got some more things to try out again

Feels good to still learn after all these years.

Guest KENNITHH

Still the same issue with the triangles man.. brush cleanup removes nothing.

http://puu.sh/9wnX8/5bffe9ebdd.jpg

I was thinking, maybe I should turn the triangles that are bad in easygen? But it's weird cause it's normal in GTK.
Or maybe the terrain is too big but I doubt it.

Still needs a lot optimizing in textures and hills but now I know it works, just the broken triangles..

Btw did you use the EasyGen 1.42? maybe it's cause of the version?

Right, I didn't think about the alpha map and how it's mapped to the terrain... yeah, changing its dimensions when deleting brushes is probably a bad idea.

I have no idea which version of EasyGen I used, it's whatever was once available at http://wolfenstein-city.4players.de/dlman/download.php?id=276 - which is now a dead link.

I don't know about the raised brushes... They don't have any special shader compared to the rest and they're not part of some entity that may move them, right? (Well that would be crazy...) Must be some kind of glitch then, the question is where from.

Still the same issue with the triangles man.. brush cleanup removes nothing.

http://puu.sh/9wnX8/5bffe9ebdd.jpg

I was thinking, maybe I should turn the triangles that are bad in easygen? But it's weird cause it's normal in GTK.

Or maybe the terrain is too big but I doubt it.

Still needs a lot optimizing in textures and hills but now I know it works, just the broken triangles..

Btw did you use the EasyGen 1.42? maybe it's cause of the version?

See if you can delete the triangles within Radiant that are giving you problems and then replace them with a nearby brush. Just clone a terrain brush and move it into position and adjust the vertices if needed. I had issues with that with a snow terrain I tried and it worked to get rid of the black triangles. 

Guest KENNITHH

Hey guys, back with some news on the terrain with easygen.. So I've been messing around with it and doing it all manually worked, but it was a pain in the ass to find them all so I tried something else which seemed to work...

I made a new terrain and done these things:

First of all the terrain seemed to be too complex , so I smoothen it out a little with the modifier tab.

Second , I made a smaller , less complex terrain:

Divisions: 96x96

Widths: 9216x9216

Div.Widt.: 96x96

Max Height: 900

which seemed to do the trick, no more triangles coming up.

Now it's just a matter of trying the other terrain again, but selecting a smaller piece out of it and smoothen it out a little.

Here's a pic of the terrain I just tried:

58d2b9ac57.jpg

Guest KENNITHH

Really? Thanks !

Well I was planning on making a snowy forest (about 30-50 trees) with a creek and somewhere around evening (10-11pm)

Details: some rocks, 2 small bridges, 3-4 houses which are a surrounded by low rock walls and some pile of wood, some shacks, light posts, a watchtower, some bushes and maybe some kind of radio tower on top of a hill

But I'm currently also working on Ziba Tower and a Venice map so got a lot to do :P but I kinda gave up hope on the remake of Ziba Tower as there were FPS issues

Btw, everything I make becomes open source, this way people can learn from me but i can also learn from them, seeing how they optimimize it, what they make etc, so, if anyone wants this terrain , just ask here or pm, but one day it will becom open source anyway once i finish it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

Answer to Q1 - You can either hold the shift key and click multiple brushes at once, or you can use any of the various "select inside, select complete tall, "select touching" e.t.c) tools to highlight all the brushes within another brush that you make.

Deleting brushes has never messed up the terrain texture at all for me.

Answer to Q2 is as in the other topic:

That happens if you change the subdivisions (in easygen) by a value that isn't an exact factor of the original subdivision. (or multiples thereof if you're increasing them)

The original subdivisions is based on the size of your starting .bmp, so if it comes out at some weird odd starting number like 507 then just change the dimensions of the starting image by a pixel or two until you have a nice even number.

example.... 500x500 i original subdivisions.

If you change it to...250x250, ill be fine.

If you change it to 251x251then it wont.

example 2......512x512 original

Change to.....say 64x64, 128x128, 256x256, it'll be fine

Change to say.... 60x60, 254x254 then it wont.