Ouch! Lost 3 hours of work, for no reason. Help!

I was mapping today for about 3 hours, much more effective than usual. I was even streaming it. I did most of the work in GtkRadiant 1.6 because it has a better vertex tool. I think the GtkRadiant 1.6 gods were angered when I made some remarks about its imperfectness, and thus now when I opened my map in 1.5 again, all the progress I had done after switching to 1.6 is gone. Nonexistant. Also gone from the automatic backup file GtkRadiant makes.

That's kind of a boot in the face, so I was wondering if there's anything that could be done to recover the earlier version. There's probably tools to recover lost files, but this one has just... I don't know what happened to it even.

Any advice? I haven't had this happen using 1.6 before, and switching between the versions has been fine.

(This may be => appropriate in the tech support section)

I had some issues somewhat similar boot.  When I got back to mapping a little bit I was using 1.4.  When I downloaded 1.6, the progress I made in 1.4 didn't show up in 1.6.  1.4 would show the progress but when I opened the map in 1.6 I thought I had lost everything.  In order to get the progress I made in 1.4 over to 1.6 I had both of them open.  I selected everything (the entire map) in 1.4 then copied and pasted into 1.6.  My problem was solved.  Maybe you can look into that and see if it works for you.

It's weird and no idea what is happening there.  The files sizes would remain the same when I viewed the files in their respective folder.  When I opened 1.4 and clicked open the file size would be of the edited version.  I checked the paths etc.  It was opening from the correct maps folder.  I would open the file in 1.6 and it looked like no changes were made ever.  Go back to 1.4 and the changes were there.  Copy and pasting worked for me.

It can't have been saved properly. I can't seem to reproduce it either. It saves fine now. I saved loads of times while working earlier.

It's not showing up in any versions. A theory I have is that I must have edited in 1.6 while I had it open in 1.5. And after I exited 1.6, I may have mindlessly clicked *ctrl S* before I quit 1.5, although it would surprise me...

I'm not asking anyone to summon the answer from thin air, but rather if someone knows how to recover overwritten files on Vista Home premium.

I'm currently trying some stuff that might work... I just panicked a little bit.

Edit: Yeah, it's lost :P Ah well. Sorry for my panic attack!

I'm not asking anyone to summon the answer from thin air, but rather if someone knows how to recover overwritten files on Vista Home premium.

By using a versioning tool like Git or Mercurial. That's proactive though, not retroactive.