Server messages each hour

Hello there again, I know I ask many questions but I'd like to know if it's possible to print news messages with sv_say like ClanMoD does (I'm using JA+ and Linux).

If anyone doesn't know what I mean it's something like an announcement that appears in Chat after sometime, and there you type something like we are recruiting and the site. It acts like sv_say.

Thanks!

I am hosting Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy servers for free up to 8 servers. Contact me if you are in need of a server for your community. 🙂

You could run the JA server in a named screen session, set up an hourly cronjob and pipe to stdin of that screen (i.e. invoke screen with the -X switch)

Apart from that, I'm not sure what can be done with JA+

With JA++, you could quite easily set up a Lua plugin to broadcast a message every x seconds, among many other things.

EDIT: I suppose you could also rely on an external RCON method, i.e. running a php script or java app to send an rcon packet on a timer. I think JAWA currently does something like that. @@SiLink?

At the moment I'm using Ja+, would it be possible to use both at the same time? Linux server ofc

Also, the PHP script would be a suitable method, how should I make that?

What are the possibilities of Ja++? Cause I've only seen 6/7 scripts

I am hosting Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy servers for free up to 8 servers. Contact me if you are in need of a server for your community. 🙂

At the moment I'm using Ja+, would it be possible to use both at the same time? Linux server ofc

Also, the PHP script would be a suitable method, how should I make that?

What are the possibilities of Ja++? Cause I've only seen 6/7 scripts

Just quickly wrote this up, should work.

I'm executing it on the command-line as such:

$ php5 rcon.php
<?php
// change these however you like
$ip = 'localhost';
$port = 29070;
$pass = 'mypass';
$cmd = 'svsay Hello there!';
$mins = 30;

$packet = str_repeat( chr( 255 ), 4 ) . "rcon $pass $cmd\n";

print( "Sending '$cmd' to $ip:$port every $mins minutes\n" );

if ( $socket = socket_create( AF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, SOL_UDP ) ) {
        while ( 1 ) {
                socket_sendto( $socket, $packet, strlen( $packet ), 0, $ip, $port );
                sleep( $mins * 60 );
        }
}
else {
        print( "can't create socket\n" );
}
?>

Seems your host is either running a really old version of PHP, was not built with sockets support, or has been configured to disable sockets.

It works fine here on a clean install of php5 (PHP 5.5.3-1ubuntu2.1 (cli) (built: Dec 12 2013 04:24:35))