Soundcard needed for recording?

Making a clan vid and not that happy with the sound recorded from in-game. Do the big firefights sound low-def/clippy or am I imagining it. Sample here:

http://speedy.sh/W5R96/sample.wav

Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v-pro

Motherboard audio details:

Realtek® ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
- Supports : Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-retasking
Audio Feature :
- Absolute Pitch 192kHz/ 24-bit True BD Lossless Sound
- DTS Ultra PC II
- DTS Connect
- Optical S/PDIF out port(s) at back panel

Motherboard audio details/review from another website:

97 db signal-to-noise ratio for analog outputs
90 db signal-to-noise ratio for analog inputs
Up to 192 khz sampling rate for both inputs and outputs
24-bit resolution

These specifications are good for the average user, but if you want to work profesionally with audio editing or converting analog audio sources into digital format, you will need to pick a motherboard with at least 100 db signal-to-noise ratio for its inputs.

Speakers: Old Logitech 2.0 but doubt it matters as stereo mix captures from motherboard/sound card.

Got the latest drivers, made sure no stupid equalizer settings or other active on sound control panel, audio capture settings on highest in Audacity. Haven't got EAX on as it doesn't support mb2 sounds just base so it misses stuff.

So I guess my question is will an actual sound card get me better recorded sound or is the game so old that not much can make the sound better.

Default sound engine in the game make sounds noisy and attenuate them not very well. If you are recording from demos, then I'd suggest to use jaMME for this which has rewritten sound code and which records and saves your sound using its own engine, external programs are not needed. It is also undepended on your hardware, and saves sounds as they are. You can also adjust attenuation level.

I am sorry for that my insolence to spread jaMME in such way. :(

z3z:  Thx settings were s_khz 22 not 44.  Will record later today and see if better.

Ent: jaMME looks awesome.  Reminds me of the old base pugmod but much better and updated.  Unfortunately my clan vid is for mb2 so it isn't compatible, but I can see a lot of uses for this mod.  What you said about the default sound engine in the game being a bit fail makes sense, thinking a new sound card will just be expensive without any real benefit for JKA sound.