MD3 as map

is possible make a quickly builiding of a map using a LAAARGE scaled MD3 model created with 3d max, exporter as quake md3, skinned with md3view put into the map as a solid misc model and scaled for create a map area and making a collage of then for create the maps?

I need to recreate some place of Nosogth of soul reaver, but rebuilding the maps is a inimmaginable work and i am alone. so i can use this metod for assembling a map like a puzzle? O.o

obvious, in that case, the map is not interactive, is just a stage of game for containing the entities.

Theoretically yes, but would have to be split into smaller md3 as theres a max vertex count of ?1000 per model

ah You are right. Yes, i got that's problem in the pass and i have solved. i see however that in map_object there some GIANT md3 that making a section of ice cave on hoth and the rockwalls of the canyon and a tunnel of the tusken lair of t1_surprise, so is fattible.

well, this can make a map very light in the loading. LOL.

Check out this picture of my map

http://jkhub.org/index.php?app=downloads&module=display&section=screenshot&record=20582&id=1723&full=1

The building in focus is a .md3 model, exported from blender and UV mapped to one of the map's textures.

I did this because if I made it out of patches, it would be possible but there would be tons of light map seams (there is always a seam where two patches meet non-planar) and the textures wouldn't be aligned very well (texture seams, such as around the door frame).

The building and archway on the right are also like this. These shapes are possible with patches but would be really ugly and also a waste of tris / very FPS-hurting.

So yes, it is very much possible to do this.

Also note: the 1000 vertex limit is only an issue of your model is placed in the map with misc_model_static. If, like my models above, you use misc_model, the triangles are part of the map at compile and there is no issue with vertex or face count whatsoever. You also won't need to even include the .md3 with the pk3.

"this can make a map very light in the loading. LOL."

Not as much as you might like, but yes, slightly. But only if you use misc_model_static.

To conclude, misc_model for stuff like buildings or.. anything you want light mapped. Misc_model_Static for organic forms like rocks, or things like small objects, objects that are very far from the playable area, etc. These things don't benefit so much from being light mapped so you can take advantage of the quicker loading times there. 

Asgarath83 likes this

Check out this picture of my map

http://jkhub.org/index.php?app=downloads&module=display&section=screenshot&record=20582&id=1723&full=1

The building in focus is a .md3 model, exported from blender and UV mapped to one of the map's textures.

I did this because if I made it out of patches, it would be possible but there would be tons of light map seams (there is always a seam where two patches meet non-planar) and the textures wouldn't be aligned very well (texture seams, such as around the door frame).

The building and archway on the right are also like this. These shapes are possible with patches but would be really ugly and also a waste of tris / very FPS-hurting.

So yes, it is very much possible to do this.

Also note: the 1000 vertex limit is only an issue of your model is placed in the map with misc_model_static. If, like my models above, you use misc_model, the triangles are part of the map at compile and there is no issue with vertex or face count whatsoever. You also won't need to even include the .md3 with the pk3.

"this can make a map very light in the loading. LOL."

Not as much as you might like, but yes, slightly. But only if you use misc_model_static.

To conclude, misc_model for stuff like buildings or.. anything you want light mapped. Misc_model_Static for organic forms like rocks, or things like small objects, objects that are very far from the playable area, etc. These things don't benefit so much from being light mapped so you can take advantage of the quicker loading times there. 

Woah!

Thanks friend.

your explanation are very useful. i will remember of all that. :)

well i am doing a mod about legacy of kain saga and a friend help me to do some build on blender, so, because take month of work and deforme some vertexes convert the blender file into a quake3 map of the buildings, i have pratically exported as

GLm, import glm on the 3d max, exported as QUAKE 3 by 3d max, and with a large ampiunt of patience, i use Md3view for ritexturing every mesh part, iike a puzzle, with the correct textures. really it take me an half day. but i imported map in JA as misc_model and is working. but i not understand a thing. why damn in the building compilation.. welll, in the test map i have dione,m a little map., just skybox, ground and the building for testing the method, the nuprapror retreat there is...

but... i see is without texture. this has not much sense, because i apply the skin on md3view for texturing all the ... forty part that make the building. and i see in md3view with textures, and i have exported the saved moved by md3view with no error, in md3 and glm.  O.o

and so,.. how can i resolve this problem of the textures missing? is very odd that make me that's thing, because when i building a swword i not have trouble with texturing with md3view. i using 3dmax5 and the plug in of md3 and glm of the version of the program, i now, well, iu have windows xp sp3, i cannot use 3d max 2013.

that's becvause i have some health problem at neural system and the windows 7 graphic is too lazy for my eyes.