[Mapping] Night to Day

Hi folks,

Quick question that I -hope- is relatively easy for any of our experienced mappers on the forums. I would like to take a map (specifically Several Sided Sid's Jedi Temple exterior: http://jkhub.org/files/file/279-several-sided-sids-jedi-temple-on-coruscant/) that is set at night and turn it into daylight for the purposes of some screenshots I'm looking to take. Now I've been tinkering with skins and models for a fair old while now, but the most I've ever come to editing maps is changing some background textures here and there through Pakscape.

That is how I have achieved night-to-day transformations for maps primarily set indoors in the past, but for an exterior map like the above, it takes more than a background texture flip to convincingly change it from night to day. So for someone who has never mapped in their life, how would one go about achieving this? And is it enough to have the map pk3 and the files within, or would I require the modder's actual source files to accomplish this?

Regards,

Kualan

I believe Q3Map2 can extract the lightmap from a .bsp (yielding a set of images) so you can paint it (in your case, make it brighter) and then use Q3Map2 to put it back into the .bsp.

Changing the sky would be a matter of editing a .shader file to point to a different sky or replacing its textures - you could open the .bsp in a text editor and do a search for /skies/, that might point you to the sky-shader used.

I believe Q3Map2 can extract the lightmap from a .bsp (yielding a set of images) so you can paint it (in your case, make it brighter) and then use Q3Map2 to put it back into the .bsp.

Possible but not in JKA (you end up with a different .bsp structure that JKA won't load).

Why not contact the author? SSS gives his email in his readmes, and if you can't get him there try Sith J Cull, they are most likely still in some form of contact.