Skinning add a cape/robe/hood to model.

Hi again!

So i was thinking, how could i possible figure out how to add a cape, robe or a hood to my model? Well, i turn to JKHUB for guidance.

First i'm thinking to add a simple cape that i currently have the texture for. I just don't know howto apply it to my actual model. As mention before i know the basic of skinning but have allot more work to do with the .skins files that is currently confusing me. But i'm getting there. Its just that everything with the textures seems fine and i get it. I also get the most parts of the .skins files but not 100%. The .glm file is a mystery for me.

Aurora Loran

Alright! Good to know and it sounds really interesting! Ill research on it! Following question: Since you guys from jkhub have exp from Jedi Knight and stuff, do you know if there is any tutorials for adding a cape to models or similar. Thanks.

There aren't any that are that specific. Most just explain how to do thing in a modeling program. The rest is you messing around with it and learning by doing. That's what I've gathered. There are some tutorials here on JKHub in the tutorial section. There are many on YouTube as well.
Aurora Loran likes this

It's more of a personal preference, IMO Softimage has an easy interface simply because of the fact it doesn't use icons for tools, just plain simple english text.

Developers used a mix of 3DS Max 5 and Softimage|XSI 2.x btw. ;)

There are also some who use Blender even.

Right now Softimage probably has the most resources, all the games source models and animations, a biped rig and multiple skeleton files.

Aurora Loran and Circa like this

http://www.moddb.com/downloads/autodesk-softimage-mod-tool-75

They recently redid the site and for some reason there is no section for Mod Tool, perhaps they'll rehost.

It's also possible that a new version may be coming, someone in Autodesk mentioned that they thought it was a good idea to update the software since version 7.5 is kinda old now but still one of the most capable free softwares especially considering you get ICE.

Aurora Loran likes this

It's more of a personal preference, IMO Softimage has an easy interface simply because of the fact it doesn't use icons for tools, just plain simple english text.

Developers used a mix of 3DS Max 5 and Softimage|XSI 2.x btw. ;)

There are also some who use Blender even.

Right now Softimage probably has the most resources, all the games source models and animations, a biped rig and multiple skeleton files.

Yeah, I was hoping you would come clear things up. I saw someone else say they used Mod Tool in a different thread, so I was just relaying what I saw. :P
Aurora Loran likes this

http://www.moddb.com/downloads/autodesk-softimage-mod-tool-75

They recently redid the site and for some reason there is no section for Mod Tool, perhaps they'll rehost.

It's also possible that a new version may be coming, someone in Autodesk mentioned that they thought it was a good idea to update the software since version 7.5 is kinda old now but still one of the most capable free softwares especially considering you get ICE.

Ok! Well, the link you gave me have i tried before but there is no download mirrors!

Although it looks like you're going to use Softimage Mod Tool, I just wanted to put my piece of mind in here.

I personally use Autodesk 3ds Max 8 for JK2/JKA rigging. I like the interface over Softimage's. Sad part is 3ds Max isn't free :/

Here's a link to the demo of 3ds Max 8 though: http://www.gamefront.com/files/files/20809473/3dsMax8_demo.zip

Also, here's a great tutorial by Psyk0sith that teaches you how to weight models with 3ds Max: http://psyko3d.50webs.com/tutorials/skin_modifier.htm

Here's one that gives a complete guide on how to compile it with 3ds Max: http://psyko3d.50webs.com/tutorials/jk2_guide.htm

Circa likes this

Eh, I used to use 3ds max, it's terrible when it comes to performance, it just can't handle high poly scenes well. The interface may be more attractive to some but I think it's just the pretty colors and shapes, I don't like icons that I have to hover a mouse over to know what they do, plain english text is much easier. These days a software that can handle models that are in the 1 million range with a good render to spit out AO, normal and cavity maps is a must and the free Mod Tool version can do that.

I use Softimage 2013 which I have a full license to but for everything JA I use Mod Tool since I can share stuff with others who are using it, I'll never go back to 3ds max.

Eh, I used to use 3ds max, it's terrible when it comes to performance, it just can't handle high poly scenes well. The interface may be more attractive to some but I think it's just the pretty colors and shapes, I don't like icons that I have to hover a mouse over to know what they do, plain english text is much easier. These days a software that can handle models that are in the 1 million range with a good render to spit out AO, normal and cavity maps is a must and the free Mod Tool version can do that.

I use Softimage 2013 which I have a full license to but for everything JA I use Mod Tool since I can share stuff with others who are using it, I'll never go back to 3ds max.

I find it interesting that you prefer text instead of icons. I personally like icons better, as text can confuse and intimidate me in a new program. Icons are more friendly to me.

This is coming from a software standpoint, not just Max vs Mod Tool. I've never used Max.

From what users have told me 3ds max has only gotten more unstable as versions have come along, you could say, "well I'll just use an older version" but they're getting hard to come by and you cannot buy a license to them anymore. You are also missing out on tools, if you compare 3ds max 8 to Mod Tool 7.5, Mod Tool can do way more. I think when Max 8 was new Softimage|XSI was at version 5.