Making jk2 and jk3 work for windows 8

Go to jk2sp.exe and jk2mp and right click--> properties and find compatibility section. The check mark the box "disable display scaling on high DPI settings" and then it will run correctly.

I think the games weren't meant to be run on a 1080p system or whatever.

I'm wondering if something similar is what is messing up gtk for windows 8 as well

edit\update: and btw- you must run it as an administrator every time you compile otherwise it doesn't have permission to make the file. ha

I downloaded both 1.4 and 1.5. They worked maybe once or twice, and ever since mouse has locked onto the ceiling like a laser in both. I can't get 1.6 to work at all although I wish it would because I want something that compiles faster.

It's not the mouse drivers though because I reformatted once, and when I added the mouse drivers back on they didn't affect things. I'm not a sure what does it or if it's just windows 8.

"disable display scaling on high DPI settings" 

Bingo. I tried the same thing on gtkradiant, and my crazy mouse issues resolved at least for the time being (I also reinstalled it before that but I'm pretty sure I reinstalled in past without problem resolution)

It's this high DPI settings that is really messing the old games up. I made this post in case others were having the same problem, they would have a solution available after searching the internet far and wide to figure out how to make things work.

My computer is ridiculously high performance though so maybe it's just my computer rather than windows 8.

Odd, I haven't experienced any difficulties with Windows 8 and JKA... Unsure about gtk/jk2 though.

Ya I had times where it would work when I first reformatted, but both times after about 24 hours, it went ballistic. Then I made those changes and it fixed it.

• 2 weeks later...