Assertation Failed Error and Questions about OJK

I recently downloaded OJK, and I got the solution to compile into jagamex86.dll. Problem is, every time I load up a map I get an "Invalid Assertation" error. I'm not sure if the code is complete or if I did something wrong.The error message reports the problem is on line 430 of ghoul2_shared.h, which I haven't touched. What I am doing is adding all of Outcasts objectives to objectives.h, I think I might need to edit g_objectives.cpp too.

Basically, I just want to know if OJK is in a working state or if it needs to be modified to work.

edit// Tried using openjk_sp.x86.exe, now it crashes after "initializing renderer"

edit// Got it to load up by dumping everything in the debug folder to Gamedata! Can't get far without crashing and it can't load Outcast maps but it did load the first mission from academy. Progress, I guess.

There's some very basic support for JK2 if you build the codeJK2 folder and run SP with start up parameters +set com_jk2 1. However it's very unstable atm and there's a lot of problems.

That's great, it's just I want to make some very basic edits to the source code but can't get the source code as supplied by Raven to work. I can wait for a full release of OJK if I have to, but I don't really want anything "extra" atm. If you know where I can get a clean copy of the source code that will compile in MS visual C++ 2010 or even 2005, that would be great. I can always move whatever edits I make there to OJK later. Thanks for the reply.

https://github.com/eezstreet/JediKnight2

is the clean, unadulterated code for Jedi Knight 2. I plan on getting MP and JKA done as well.

My code doesn't contain any alterations to it like OpenJK has, this is perfect for people in your situation that just need a working base.

EDIT: And like I said, it should definitely compile with VS6, the problem is that Raven used very old code conventions which aren't valid anymore. It takes around 6-8 man-hours to convert the code to a workable state on newer compilers.

Or this

Thanks a lot! I was trying to use https://github.com/PJayB/jk3src which requires VS 2012. Unfortunately,  I'm still not sure which compiler to use with it. VS 2010 doesn't seem to like the link you supplied and I'm too inexperienced to fix any errors. I'll try to get it to work myself though.

https://github.com/e...eet/JediKnight2

is the clean, unadulterated code for Jedi Knight 2. I plan on getting MP and JKA done as well.

My code doesn't contain any alterations to it like OpenJK has, this is perfect for people in your situation that just need a working base.

EDIT: And like I said, it should definitely compile with VS6, the problem is that Raven used very old code conventions which aren't valid anymore. It takes around 6-8 man-hours to convert the code to a workable state on newer compilers.

VS 6 isn't compatible with Vista, which I'm currently stuck using. Your code for JO is perfect though, Raven's code that I downloaded originally had only the Xbox and PC version of JA. I'll keep a copy of your code just in case I ever need it, thanks. I would like to try adding new weapons to JO, and I know there's a thread about that, I might try it.

edit: I can't get this to load up in either MS visual studio 2010 or 2005, I don't know what I'm supposed to open it with. And judging by the README, I think its an incomplete port of JA to different operating systems based on this:

Jedi Academy with various changes to make it build/run onmore platforms including amd64/x86_64.

So I doubt it's what I'm looking for. The cleaned up version of JO's source code eezstreet made is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. I think I'm just going to have to wait for the same to be done for JA, please keep me informed on it and I will definitely give a download!

Sorry for bumping this, but I'm experiencing the exact same problems the author of this thread has been having - so I found it unnecessary to start a new thread. Namely, 

every time I load up a map I get an "Invalid Assertation" error. I'm not sure if the code is complete or if I did something wrong.The error message reports the problem is on line 430 of ghoul2_shared.h

Except this happens when I try to run regular JA, not JK2. I also tried running with openjk_sp.x86.exe, and this crashes me at "initializing renderer" as well. I haven't, however, tried dumping the contents of the debug folder into gamedata, as I'm not quite sure what that would entail (what exactly, goes where?).

I've never done any coding before, so it might just be me not doing it right. I open the JediAcademy.sln with MVS 2010, right-click gameJKA, hit Build, and this yields a new jagamex86.dll file. (If I try compiling the entire JediAcademy solution I get error messages for 3 out of the 4 builds.) I put this in the gamedata directory (replacing the old, original one), as putting it in base or inside a pk3 in base doesn't seem to do anything. I then fire up SP, and as soon as I start a mission - BOOM! Instacrash, with the same error message xxt65xx has been receiving. Any thoughts on this?

Sorry for bumping this, but I'm experiencing the exact same problems the author of this thread has been having - so I found it unnecessary to start a new thread. Namely, 

Except this happens when I try to run regular JA, not JK2. I also tried running with openjk_sp.x86.exe, and that didn't work either. I haven't, however, tried dumping the contents of the debug folder into gamedata, as I'm not quite sure what that would entail (what exactly, goes where?).

I've never done any coding before, so it might just be me not doing it right. I open the JediAcademy.sln with MVS 2010, right-click gameJKA, hit Build, and this yields a new jagamex86.dll file. (If I try compiling the entire JediAcademy solution I get error messages for 3 out of the 4 builds.) I put this in the gamedata directory (replacing the old, original one), as putting it in base or inside a pk3 in base doesn't seem to do anything. I then fire up SP, and as soon as I start a mission - BOOM! Instacrash, with the same error message xxt65xx has been receiving. Any thoughts on this?

First off, OJK is still in the works and is incomplete. Even if you do get it to run there are plenty of bugs.

If you haven't modified the code yourself, there shouldn't be any errors when compiling. OJK requires VS 2010 with SP 1. You can find Service pack one here:

http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=23691

I think you might be interested in this thread:

http://jkhub.org/topic/2012-tutorial-on-how-to-compile-openjk/

Also, I wasn't trying to run JK2. I was trying to load a JK2 map on academy, nothing to do with JK2's engine.

I think that covers most of it, hope this helps.

I wasn't trying to run JK2. I was trying to load a JK2 map on academy, nothing to do with JK2's engine.

Oh, I see. My bad.

I haven't modified the code at all, and I've installed service pack 1. Still, no go. I've read through that thread several times already, and couldn't really find anything that helped. Am I doing it right otherwise through? Am I supposed to just place the new jagamex86.dll in gamedata, and that's it?

Hmm, I couldn't get it to start until I just dumped everything from debug into gamedata. I'd recommend you back up jagamex86.dll and anything else that would be overwritten and try that. I'm new to this too, but I found that it worked after copying everything. I would also make sure you're trying to load a new game rather than a save.  I can't tell you exactly what you need, but I am pretty sure you need the custom .exe.

Protip: Just hit "ignore" on the assertion failures. Or don't compile in Debug. Debug mode is what causes those to show up. They're intended to show up.

Ah, yes. I forgot about compiling in FinalBuild. I've now tried that, and that got rid of the error messages, but the game still crashes at the same point. I also tried compiling the openjk_sp.x86.exe in FinalBuild this time, and that stopped the OpenJK Singleplayer console (the one which pops up upon starting the game) from crashing completely - now it actually gives a red, flashing error message: "Failed to load renderer."

I'm at my wits end about this. No matter what I try, which version of Microsoft VIsual Studio I use, which compiling mode I use, it keeps crashing. Would it be possible for someone with a working setup of OpenJK to upload the files necessary to play it without crashing? 

I also tried compiling the openjk_sp.x86.exe in FinalBuild this time, and that stopped the OpenJK Singleplayer console (the one which pops up upon starting the game) from crashing completely - now it actually gives a red, flashing error message: "Failed to load renderer."

Are you running SP through Visual Studio or are you copying the openjk_sp.x86.exe and rdsp-vanilla_x86.dll files into JKA's GameData folder and running it by double clicking the .exe?

Are you running SP through Visual Studio or are you copying the openjk_sp.x86.exe and rdsp-vanilla_x86.dll files into JKA's GameData folder and running it by double clicking the .exe?

I'm doing the latter (with the inclusion of jagamex86.dll), except I haven't been able to compile the rdsp-vanilla_x86.dll file. That seems to be the problem then, I just didn't realize it was needed. Each time I try compiling, whether in MSV 2010 or 2012, it says:

1>c:\program files\lucasarts\star wars jedi knight jedi academy\gamedata\openjk-master\lib\libpng\pngstruct.h(31): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'zlib.h': No such file or directory

1> pngerror.c

1>c:\program files\lucasarts\star wars jedi knight jedi academy\gamedata\openjk-master\lib\libpng\pngstruct.h(31): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'zlib.h': No such file or directory

1> pngget.c

1> pngmem.c

1> pngpread.c

1> pngread.c

1> pngrio.c

1> pngrtran.c

1> pngrutil.c

1> pngset.c

1> pngtrans.c

1> pngwio.c

1> pngwrite.c

1> pngwtran.c

1> Compiling...

1> pngwutil.c

1> matcomp.c

1>

1>Build FAILED.

Just for shits, I tried placing the zlib.h file in the libpng folder. That got rid of the error, but displayed another one for another file placed in the zlib folder (where I found the zlib.h). So finally, I tried copying all of the contents of the zlib folder into the libpng folder, and all but a single one-lined error message disappeared:

1>tr_image.cpp(30): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'png.h': No such file or directory

This file certainly does exist, and is located (by default) in the libpng folder. It's just not reading it for some reason. Messy explanation, but it's all I've got. Anyone experience anything similar?

Ah right. You're using the provided .sln file. It's currently broken so to want to avoid it. Instead you should generate a working one using the .bat file in the root of the OpenJK directory. You'll need to install cmake. Once you've run that, use the .sln file in the build/ directory.