Where are the weapon names located ?

Go to solution Solved by GamerFos420,

Open assets0.pk3 -> strings -> English -> MENUS.str in notepad. Ctrl+F, enter "bryar" into the search criteria and alter each entry as necessary.

Do the same again in "spingame.str", found in the same folder.

Do the same again in "mp_ingame.str", found in the same folder.

Hope that helps. ^_^

CaptainChar likes this

REFERENCE           BLASTER_PISTOL_DESC
LANG_ENGLISH        "Blastech DL-44 \nKyle Katarn's weapon of choice, the Blastech DL-44 is a common hand-held energy weapon with a slow rate of fire and incredible accuracy.\nPrimary Fire - Slow, single shot with great accuracy and damage\nSecondary Fire - Charged energy buildup for increased damage blast attack\nAmmo Type - Blaster Pack"

and

REFERENCE           WEAPON_BRYAR_PISTOL
LANG_ENGLISH        "Blastech DL-44"

were the only changes I could make in those 2 files and they were only in spingame.str.. gonna load up sp to see if it worked right now but there was no multiplayer change as I thought ..

Hmm. Decided to do a test and renamed the E11-Blaster Rifle to ASSAULT BLASTER RIFLE and started up.. and the Bryar has been changed to Blastech DL-44 and the BR name changed aswell .. Gonna look over this one more time and then confirm your answer.. but I think your answer is right..

There are only minor references to "bryar" in MENUS.str, I included it only to add that extra thorough layer in overwriting the name. To the best of my knowledge, the only other mention of BRYAR_PISTOL specifically, is assets1.pk3 -> ext_data -> weapons.dat (open in Notepad)

In there, you'll find:

// WP_BRYAR_PISTOL

{
weapontype       WP_BRYAR_PISTOL
weaponclass      weapon_bryar_pistol
weaponmodel      models/weapons2/briar_pistol/briar_pistol.md3
weaponIcon       gfx/hud/w_icon_briar
missileFuncName bryar_func
altmissileFuncName bryar_alt_func
ammotype         2
ammolowcount     15
energypershot    1
firetime         400
range            8192
altenergypershot 1
altfiretime      400
altrange         8192
muzzleEffect bryar/muzzle_flash
altmuzzleEffect bryar/altmuzzle_flash
altchargesound sound/weapons/bryar/altcharge.wav
altchargeforce   fffx/weapons/bryar/altcharge
selectSound sound/weapons/bryar/select.wav
selectforce     fffx/weapons/bryar/select
}
It occurs to me now that this may have been what you were after in the first place. My bad. :P
  • Solution

Ok..ive looked it over and you have to change

REFERENCE           BLASTER_PISTOL_DESC
LANG_ENGLISH        "Blastech DL-44 \nKyle Katarn's weapon of choice, the Blastech DL-44 is a common hand-held energy weapon with a slow rate of fire and incredible accuracy.\nPrimary Fire - Slow, single shot with great accuracy and damage\nSecondary Fire - Charged energy buildup for increased damage blast attack\nAmmo Type - Blaster Pack"

and

REFERENCE           WEAPON_BRYAR_PISTOL
LANG_ENGLISH        "Blastech DL-44"

in sp_ingame.str to change the name of the Bryar in multiplayer and singleplayer  .. for others .

Change the sp_ingame LANG_ENGLISH       "weapon name" and the same in MENU.str..

There is no need to add a reference to the mp_ingame.str

All found in assets0.pk3 .  Thank You MagSul !!