Cosmos Clanmap [UN-Abandoned Project] pk3 and source

edit: After making this post I have now decided to attempt to fix the map. Anyone is welcome to assist, and permission to use content from it still stands.

Last night I was larking around with @@Averus Retruthan and ended up revisiting the old clanmap myself and @@Sef Senatu were working on back in cosmos. It sadly never got completely finished, and had serious fps problems that I was never proficient enough to resolve myself. Despite that, it was a pretty cool map so I figured I would post the near-finished compile we had (complete with awful fps and a few bugs) as well as the .map files if anyone wishes to borrow parts of it / maybe even have a go at making it compile in a more working manner.

Click for a ton of screenshots (so many its impractical for me to post them here, so have an imgur album)

If you want to use a part of the map feel free, but be sure to credit myself and @@Sef Senatu , and preferably lets us know. The furniture around and including the TV in the lounge is by @@MagSul so you will have to ask him if you want to use it. Other resources (textures, models, sounds etc) are not all ours, so ask me here or in pm before using anything other than contents of the .map file.

Map PK3 - https://www.dropbox.com/s/hox1qxmcb6c3yrb/zzzzzzz_cosmos_map_resourses.pk3

.MAP Source File  - https://www.dropbox.com/s/5tdnn85bl9m79mf/cosmosa473.7z (you will need the pk3 too for textures etc)

There are a few secrets and a lot of crazy entity chains that mappers will probably find if they take a look, you may even find them exploring.

Oh to start the map type /devmap cosmos_a473m in the console. Not sure if its in the menu.

Dude, looks impressive. Why don't you finish this map? I would if I were you.

1 - no clan to use it any more

2 - it will be a nightmare to fix it enough.

If people really like it, this version IS useable, if a little laggy. If people absolutely demand it, I might take a shot at fixing the blasted thing xD

Fixing a map isnt that bad, usually involves some brush tweaking to either lighten lag specific areas, or as Scizo says, Caulk the shit out of everything :P but I agree with MoonDog, it should be finished by someone

Edit: only one area of that map dips in the FPS, everywhere else is a smooth 50-60+ fps but i beleive its cause the map is rendoing a long draw distance for the size and angle i was looking, basicly looking accross the entire map, and since its so open, Im guessing its drawing everything at once, I could suggest distance cull tweaking if it has been changed for this map already, but im no pro here, Vis is a complete foreign thing to me :P

So? :P

So its a lot of effort to go to for a map that wont get any real use.

And aye, the problems lie in vis, and regrettably its much more than one area where it drops. The moment you step outside you loose at least 10 fps, and in several semi-indoor areas you get the same effect. Basically, a large portion of the map is a single vast out-door area, and there is an awful lot of glass/gaps in walls through which it can be seen, causing near to the entire map to be drawn at once. Also despite thorough caulking, i think i had to add some setting or other to get it to actually make it through the vis step, which has caused the fps to be lower in general. After I went inactive towards the end of cosmos the .map actually got passed around a bit and was so horrifying that no further progress was made at all xD.

In short, the map is an absolute nightmare to optimise.

Anything that I put together which made it into this map, feel free to pinch. I'd like to think I can do better now anyway. :P

The nostalgia, it burns! There was far more done to that than I remember seeing! It is/was a great map, MUG. If you can twist my arm, I can twist yours. Finish it! I'm sure there'll be a way to improve the FPS. 

I do so miss the mini Tie Fighter dogfights.

MUG likes this

after compiling the source map again (which took about an hour) with only change being distancecull set to 10000, all fps issues were solved, however some minor broken brushes I noticed in the cave section of the map, that and the source files do not match the bsp version, as in some textures havent been placed as nicely in the source, but rather then that, its purely cosmetic to fix

after compiling the source map again (which took about an hour) with only change being distancecull set to 10000, all fps issues were solved, however some minor broken brushes I noticed in the cave section of the map, that and the source files do not match the bsp version, as in some textures havent been placed as nicely in the source, but rather then that, its purely cosmetic to fix

Distance cull seems like a pretty saddening solution to be honest. It seems a shame that in places you will see the backdrop vanish if you are too far away. As for the source, yeah I imagine the source isn't quite up to date as I probably lost the file once or twice. Potentially it could actually be a version ahead of the compile in the pk3 where I/someone else tried to fix it.

But yes, curse you all, it's decided, I shall make this blasted map work, even if it means reading up on various new vis improving techniques. I may well need to enlist the help of a few of the more savvy mappers if they are willing to lend a hand.