Possible to have multiple opening crawl files? In OpenJKA

Go to solution Solved by mrwonko,

Is it possible to have multiple opening crawls per game file? There are lots of mods that use it I'd like to incorporate, without having to mess with the files each time to get the proper one to play. I noticed that it is possible, though not sure how, with the base Jedi Academy game, but I've yet to see it work with OpenJK.

If it's any help, I believe you can put the PK3s you want to load on individual mods into the folder with each mod. So for JA+, you can put some PK3s into the japlus folder, and they should only load for JA+.

Barring that, I'd suggest creating a batch file to rename/move files for the mods as needed.

15 minutes ago, NAB622 said:

If it's any help, I believe you can put the PK3s you want to load on individual mods into the folder with each mod. So for JA+, you can put some PK3s into the japlus folder, and they should only load for JA+.

Barring that, I'd suggest creating a batch file to rename/move files for the mods as needed.

This is moreso what I'm hoping to avoid doing I think, but thank you anyway. If possible, I'd like to have one overall base mod using OpenJK (like the mentioned JA+, or Galactic Legacy) and then incorporate mods that use batch files to load, but instead just have it load the correct campaign on loading the base mod aforementioned. I have an idea of how to set up the main menus to do this, where you could pick and choose, just like in GL. The problem has been the title crawl always reverting to the Jedi Academy one. I probably just don't understand it as I've never made a title crawl for this game myself.

• Solution

The way I remember it, the title crawl comes from a single image file, which is hardcoded, and it only plays before one specific level. So there's no way to combine multiple mods with opening crawls without modifying the code.

Keeping each mod in its own mod folder is probably the easiest way to handle it. Restarting the game to change mod is not so bad, and helps avoid other potential incompatibilities between the mods as well.

On 8/20/2024 at 3:55 AM, mrwonko said:

The way I remember it, the title crawl comes from a single image file, which is hardcoded, and it only plays before one specific level. So there's no way to combine multiple mods with opening crawls without modifying the code.

Keeping each mod in its own mod folder is probably the easiest way to handle it. Restarting the game to change mod is not so bad, and helps avoid other potential incompatibilities between the mods as well.

You're right, when looking at the code solution, it seems the title crawl is hardcoded to check for language, then play the correct one based on that, with defaulting back to English. Really disappointing, as it seems its not easily fixable to tell the game to switch crawls without adding a new language duplicate of English. At best for each mod I'd have to create a duplicate if statement for each file pointing towards a different jk0101_sw type file each time -_- thank you though!