Skybox

Go to solution Solved by NAB622,

Hello, I am working on a new map and I came to a point in which I want to apply a skybox. There are many tutorials on how to create script and so on but I have no idea where to take the texture from. Do map creators make these textures themselves? or is there some kind of library where I can find some skybox? How do I create it? Please help.

When you say create a skybox, I'm assuming you mean you want to use one of the existing skyboxes from the game assets and not that you are creating one from scratch, yes?

If you're using an existing skybox, it's as easy as opening textures/skies, and picking any of the ones with a "sky" placeholder image. Apply the chosen shader to any brush face that you want to treat as a sky boundary on the outer edge of your map. The game handles everything else automatically.

If you need examples, you should be able to find them in any of the sample maps. Off hand, the only one I can think of is mp/ffa5.

Thanks for answer, as I've said earlier I actually want to create new skybox cubemap as none of existing skyboxes fits my likings. I know how to apply skybox texture itself but I don't know where to get "new" ones or create one.. I know many map creators create their own skyboxes... somehow, thus I want to know

Ah, okay. Your initial post seemed more like you were asking about using skies in general.

As far as custom skies go, I won't be much help with generating them from scratch. However, it matters a bit what you're trying to generate, so what are you looking for? Starscape vs jungle vs city vs skyscape vs cloudscape could be generated with various tools.

Off the top of my head, in the past I know Terragen, Photoshop, and Blender can be used. I'm sure there are many other tools that I am unaware of.

Well I am looking for a skybox with overcast/scattered clouds, possibly with moon, late evening or night time. I have heard that you can use these programs to do that but where do I get the texture/photo from? Is it enough to just put 360 picture into terragen for example and will it work just fine? or do I have to do any extra steps?

• Solution

t's been a really long time since I've touched Terragen, but after skimming a tutorial, it doesn't look like it has changed at all.

That said, I think I see your confusion about a script. I didn't even know Terragen had scripts. It's not necessary to use one, you can just type the angle values from the script/tutorial directly into the camera settings and render each image manually if you want. The script is purely for convenience sake.