Require help figuring out why character customization mod is not showing on menu

Hello there,

It's been a while, I have been working on a new character customization mod (something I have done a few times in the past), however I have ran into the issue of it not showing up in the in-game menu. I have the strings all set up, I have the playerchoice text file present in the model folder, icons, skin files etc. I would appreciate it if a fellow modder would take a look and tell me what it is I am missing or done wrong, I know it has been a few years since I last created a mod like this, but I'd really appreciate the help fixing the issue. Here is a download link to the WIP .pk3: https://www.mediafire.com/file/0irtcuovq34cnty/CJP_DarklordMale_01.pk3

Well first, it's always better to name the folder JEDI_something (eg. JEDI_darklord) of the player model so it can show up in the character creation menu. You can keep the CJP_DarklordMale_01 folder, but make a separate one too with the "JEDI_darklord" and add there the necessary skins.

Second you probably need to add these skins too for the Hoth mission: skins torso_g1 and lower_e1.

And lastly but probably not that important for the model to show up, you can add to menu.str:

REFERENCE           JEDI_DARKLORD
NOTES               "For character menu"
LANG_ENGLISH        "Dark Lord"

And I see that you have 10+ head .skins and only 1 or 2 torso and leg skins.  My advice, try it first with 1 head 1 torso and 1 leg skins file, see if it works and then add the rest. Good luck!

Looks like you don't have icons for the torso or lower skin files. You need at least 1 of each of those. Your head icons also don't match the head skin files. Make sure you have at least head_a1.skin, torso_a1.skin, and lower_a1.skin, along with the icons that match them but with icon_ as a prefix.

What the above comment says isn't necessary to simply make it show up in the menu, but using the JEDI_ prefix is best practice because the game is hardcoded to look for those first in various scenarios, and is the only way to get team colors working in MP in addition to the SP menu, but again, not necessary for the bare minimum. Same goes for the Hoth variants, though it'll be bugged when you get to that mission if you don't.

Here's a tutorial for you to run through if you need it:

Edited by Circa
Omega1 and RobiWanKen0bi like this
6 hours ago, Circa said:

Looks like you don't have icons for the torso or lower skin files. You need at least 1 of each of those. Your head icons also don't match the head skin files. Make sure you have at least head_a1.skin, torso_a1.skin, and lower_a1.skin, along with the icons that match them but with icon_ as a prefix.

What the above comment says isn't necessary to simply make it show up in the menu, but using the JEDI_ prefix is best practice because the game is hardcoded to look for those first in various scenarios, and is the only way to get team colors working in MP in addition to the SP menu, but again, not necessary for the bare minimum. Same goes for the Hoth variants, though it'll be bugged when you get to that mission if you don't.

Here's a tutorial for you to run through if you need it:

Thank you, the missing icons was the culprit, I cannot believe I missed those! Everything shows up now in the main menu. Again, thanks for your help.