Linux vs Windows Servers

Enlighten me, programmers/ coders etc...
______

I'm thinking of switching to using Linux servers (both vps/dedi and JKA) to reduce cost and be able to maximize resource usage. I'm not too good with these technical things, so I would appreciate if someone could tell me:

- I can't run exe's right? I happen to have a particular jampded exe that I'd like to use...
- DLLs? Is there a Linux equivalent?
- is it true JKA on Linux has memory leaks?

I'm asking the above because i don't know if my jka servers would be equally secure if they were Linux instead of Windows. I don't know if the Linux fixes out there cover what windows fixes does.

I read somewhere on escapedturkey that due to jka having leaks or some sort they have to restart the server every now and then...

I'm not familiar with Linux having used windows since young, so I've never been able to get a JKA server restart script working. I do have limited experience with using the console (is that what it's called?) so I can do basics such as starting up a JKA server and copying files. I also had a wined server once but it took up way too much resource for me to be happy with it.

Not talking about mods yet...I know loads don't run on Linux.

I've always wanted to say this - you're a bot! Instant reply lol and you're always online. XD

That particular jampded has been modified <.< to allow something that I'd rather not say here...

Hm, maybe that's why after 4000/5000 minutes of server uptime invulnerability bubbles, lava and elevators start to look like theyre lagging.

Fixes I'm referring to are just about everything luigi has but force and model.

Caelum likes this

That jampded was modified to run in conjunction with a mod - an external exe (nope I can't tell you what goes there cause while I gave it some imput I didnt touch the coding).

I haven't tried those fixes you posted, but are they fine for 1.00 as well? The 'jampded' wouldn't be...

Also I've had strange experience with two different linux servers, people could kill instantly with staff kick, lightning instant killed, siege giving animation bugs that crashed.

Hm, maybe that's why after 4000/5000 minutes of server uptime invulnerability bubbles, lava and elevators start to look like theyre lagging.

Nope. That's suspected to be caused by integer overflows of the current ingame time.

Linux as an operating system is fundamentally more secure than Windows when used properly.

linuxjampded is not any more secure than jampDed.exe

That jampded was modified to run in conjunction with a mod - an external exe (nope I can't tell you what goes there cause while I gave it some imput I didnt touch the coding).
qmm? jmpproxy? Both have Linux verisons as far as I know.

Also I've had strange experience with two different linux servers, people could kill instantly with staff kick, lightning instant killed, siege giving animation bugs that crashed.

Instant kill with staff kick is a bug, not related to windows/linux.

Lightning instant kill is probably due to an insanely high sv_fps and using a mod that doesn't fix the frame-dependent calculation (e.g. almost every mod)