Empty parts in .3ds model imported on gmax

hello,

I'm making my first weapons, on jka of course. It's just a simple stick for the beginning. Then I would understand how to do next time.

The stick works despite littles problems like sounds for example. I put new sounds but it seems not to be the right config inside of the mp3 itself (sampling etc). I don't remember. ^_^ Actually, the first wrong thing is... because Virtue tell me to rotate the blade tag. :mellow: (http://virtue.thejed...ilts/part4.html) May be i didn't understand what he really told me...

shot0176a.jpg

Now I need your advises. The second problem is showned by the red question mark... there is a hole or something like in the model. I returned in gmax and saw the same thing. But no problem on the other side of the stick.

shot0176b.jpgshot0176c.jpgshot0174a.jpg

It seems that appeared with the texturing. The model would be safe. But in another work, there are vertices which are no longer connected with the import or export of .3ds file. (I model with blender before export the mesh in a .3ds).

aaexportpb1a.jpgaaexportpb3a.jpg

On 3dsmax, no problem with the mesh. All the same there is a mysterious black line... Otherwise, are there too many vertices ?

aaexportpb2a.jpg

Rotate the *blade tag sounds about right - tags are triangles representing directions (the blade's one in this case), though as the direction is determined by the indices (i.e. order) of the vertices which is kinda hard to find out how it'll turn out so you usually have to experiment until it points in the right direction. You can take a look at the model (and other sabers) in the glm viewer ModView with "Show actual tag surfaces" turned on to get a better idea of how it works.

The second problem is related to surfaces being one-sided, i.e. they have a visible front and an invisible back, like patch-meshes in maps. So you'll have to select those topmost polygons and do something like "flip normals" - I have no idea what it's actually called in gmax though as I do not use it.

Oh, after re-reading part of your post I just saw you're using Blender - just stick to it! There's an md3 exporter for it that works just fine, although it hasn't been updated for the latest versions yet (I'll get around to that eventually), and I did some

on creating a saber with it.
Areum likes this

Now I need your advises. The second problem is showned by the red question mark... there is a hole or something like in the model. I returned in gmax and saw the same thing. But no problem on the other side of the stick.

shot0176b.jpgshot0176c.jpgshot0174a.jpg

The second problem is related to surfaces being one-sided, i.e. they have a visible front and an invisible back, like patch-meshes in maps. So you'll have to select those topmost polygons and do something like "flip normals" - I have no idea what it's actually called in gmax though as I do not use it.

^ This...I think in gmax it is the same as in 3dsmax, just select those faces go to the "modifier list", and then there should be one called "Normal" and in that there should be an option you can check called "Flip Normals"

The tip of the stick is fixed thanks to you ! Indeed, I had to 'flip' surfaces in "normal" from the modifier list. I've found a 'flip' button in 'face' menu too.

About the problem of non-linked vertices, it's really due to import/export but I don't understand why it didn't happened with the stick... does a more more complicated mesh generate this ? :unsure:

Otherwise, i didn't need to rotate any tags lol. I replaced the tag as it was in the original .md3 saber and that seems working... rotate the tag as virtue said just put the blade in reverse in my experience. Thank you for your help. :)

and I did some
on creating a saber with it.

Just wow... I don't know what to say but un grand merci, really thank you. It's like I dreamed of this ever since. :D

I'll follow that as soon as possible.

I would recommend you turn on the lightsaber beam so you can see where the weapon "actually" is.

Sometimes (for reasons I cannot explain), surfaces you make are inverted when converting the model into glm/md3 - try flipping them and see what happens in-game. (I had a similar problem once and flippin' out solved it) :P

If you know how to use MD3View to view the tag orientation you don't really need to have the lightsaber blade turned on unless you're changing the default length and want to make sure it's long enough. That's usually when a weapon gets imbalanced, though.