Linux installation instruction for GOG version?

dorpis

The readme has instructions for the Steam release of the game, but I'm not sure how to approach the installation with the GOG release. Getting the game to run natively in Linux sounds fantastic, but I'm not sure what procedure I'm supposed to use. Does anyone know how to do it?

Just came across the site while looking for running ja on linux and throught I should pass along my knowledge regarding GOGs installers.  (Note I don't work for them).  All of GOGs installers are built with innosetup and can be extracted with innoextract.  Specifically, 

-Download the installer (Whether it has the Galaxy installer or not doesn't matter)

-Install innosetup (for debian based linux `sudo apt install innosetup` works.)

-Change to the location where the downloaded exe exists.

-run `innoextract [downloaded filename]`

The files themselves will be in `./app/`

Happy to help.

If you don't mind a bit of manual work, the only files you need to run JKA are assets*.pk3 in a folder called "base".
Most installers can simply be treated as a .zip (or as above, with innoextract)
So I would create e.g. "~/games/JediAcademy/base" and put the PK3s there.
Assuming you can get that far, the rest is installer-agnostic:

Download OpenJK and extract it inside that JediAcademy folder (not base)
Alternatively, compile OpenJK from source (JACoders/OpenJK on Github) like:
cd ~/code
git clone https://github.com/JACoders/OpenJK.git
cd OpenJK
mkdir build-release && cd build-release
cmake -G "Unix Makefiles" -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=~/games/ -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ../
make && make install

Run from ~/games/JediAcademy, ./openjk.x86_64 for MP and openjk_sp.x86_64 for SP. May need to launch with +set fs_game "OpenJK"
For MP code mods, JA++ has a Linux version available that you can also use on JA+ servers.

There, I'm done with shameless plugging.

Smoo likes this

Thanks, it worked quite well! I've noticed something strange after playing for a while, however. If, while playing, I die and reload a save, the level will cease to have the proper "triggers" until I restart the program. For instance, Jaden won't say the things he is supposed to, switches won't work, elevators won't start, etc. It all works once I close and reopen the game, but loading in-game causes these oddities without fail.

• 2 years later...

well using on linux is quite simple is just a matter of getting used you simply download wine with proton install directx and VCruntime just in case and after that when you have a windows game or software you right click  on it and chose run with wine,or you could use lutris or play on linux which make stuff simpler to install i normally use q4wine to run any software and never failed is quite simple i even run japanese games with,you simply right click,run with q4wine once it launch click on accept and the GOG installer will launch after that install as usual since will be the same as installing on windows.