You guys have any good solution for insta kata..?

Jango40

There's a big demand for bringing torso freeze back in MB2 (and lots of drama), and the only thing that is holding it back is the fact that blocking Primary/Secondary fire while pressing USE_HELD_ITEM is not a perfect solution. It has a delay and players won't be able to shoot for less than a second after pressing use item. Doesn't seem like a big deal, but in the rare event someone jumps out and you need to shoot, it could get you killed.

Is there any better fix for this bug?

There's a fairly well known bug in jk2 and JKA where if you hold use and attack then you can make the torso anim loop Most mods fix it by removing the "attack key is pressed" flag on the server side but there should be a better fix for it I think.

It could be fixed more easily in something like MB2 of course.  But any changes to the pmove in a compatibility manner or server-side mod manner are risky at best.  Which is why that fix is used.

Will just take some time to debug where its freezing and why?  Presumably because the use item button stops processing of PM_Weapon thats my guess without looking as of yet.

It could be fixed more easily in something like MB2 of course.  But any changes to the pmove in a compatibility manner or server-side mod manner are risky at best.  Which is why that fix is used.

Will just take some time to debug where its freezing and why?  Presumably because the use item button stops processing of PM_Weapon thats my guess without looking as of yet.

We blocked torso freeze entirely in the latest release, which is why this topic is being brought up. People liked the "hugging" ability that freezing the torso allowed. However, it also allowed for insta-kata as well which is the reason it was blocked in the latest release.

People would like to have the hug portion back without having the bug. If we cant get it fixed so that it can use the normal method without allowing for other issues with it, it likely will come back as a "gesture" using the voice commands menu.

Eezstreet noted a fix being in OpenJK in the other thread, but that fix isn't really the optimum method as Xycaleth stated as theres other issues, especially in a more combat rich environment that MB2 has.

The hugging is a bug too  :huh:  The fix long pre-dates OpenJK and is part of the mod code of course.  It came from LucasForums bugfixes post (most of which were part of added to OpenJK via modbase merge)

It's a bug, but it's harmless and it was a part of MB2. People did this all the time, when not playing srs matches or stuff like that.

You could probably at least make it server-side optional for now?  I don't think we intend to fix it any differently for base game-code.

People do this all the time when trolling on plenty of other non-MB2 servers too which are not patched.  :)

You could probably at least make it server-side optional for now?  I don't think we intend to fix it any differently for base game-code.

People do this all the time when trolling on plenty of other non-MB2 servers too which are not patched.  :)

People troll just as much with torso freeze removed in MB2 at least, so it's not a valid reason at all

Agent Jones likes this