[Concept]PVP Looting {WIP}

Eventually you will be able to loot other player's corpses in Jedi Knight Galaxies.  In Phase 1, this will likely either not occur or be very limited.  In Phase 3 and onward however, this will be very important to the game's economy and cutthroat nature.  Here's how it'll work:

Scenario

Let's say you, Joe, are a terrible player and have let eezstreet kill you.  You have done nothing wrong, he is just a blood thirsty raider looking for loot.  After killing you eezstreet walks up to your corpse and presses +use, it will then open up your loot container.  Inside he finds a 100 credits, 5 clips of ammo, and a class e thermal detonator.  All things you were carrying before dying.  You respawn and no longer have these items.  However, most of your money and inventory has gone untouched thankfully.  This is because you had not committed any crimes.

Back to eezstreet.  He's feeling a little sad the best thing you dropped was a thermal detonator.  However, he sighs and loots the corpse taking everything.  Not even worth the notoriety points he thinks as he jogs through the small backwater town of Tatooine.  Unfortunately he comes too close to a pair of stormtroopers and they notice him.  "Halt!" one of them cries.  "Stop right there criminal scum!" the other echoes.  eezstreet begins sprinting, ignoring the pair of stormtroopers tasked with keeping the small town safe.  After a few seconds, the stormtroopers realize he is not listening and decide to use deadly force.  Blaster bolts from an E-11 begin spraying the side of a small farmhouse as eezstreet ducks and weaves between durasteel containers and old junk.  Unfortunately, the stormtrooper's are not being tasked with letting the rogue criminal get away and their precise aim strikes eezstreet in the rear bringing him to the ground with an echo of blaster fire sounding in the terrified village.  The stormtroopers inspect the body ensuring they've done their job and then walk back to their post, grumbling about the paperwork they'll have to do.  Unnoticed to the stormtroopers another player begins looting eezstreet's corpse.  A significant bounty indeed.  Not only does it contain the thermal detonator and clips of ammo stolen from before, but a large portion of credits (2432 to be exact), and 15 other clips of ammo, three guns, and a number of grenades.  The scavenger quickly snatches the items and then lumbers off with his haul.

Outline

Looting in JKG has three main parts to it: 1) killing other players 2) being killed with a criminal status (a notoriety debuff) 3) being killed without a criminal status

In order to loot another player you must first kill them (duh).  A cooldown will begin preventing other player's from looting their corpse.  The system will consider the killer to be the person who did 80% of the damage or if no one has reached that percentage, the person to last hit the player.  During the cooldown you can loot the corpse to your content without worrying about other player's stealing your loot.  After the cooldown expires the corpse will first open to anyone in your faction and then after fifteen seconds to everyone, regardless of team.  Anyone can loot the corpse at this point.  The cooldowns will work slightly different if you are part of a team (shares first with team before globally sharing loot). When looting a corpse you'll see a menu similar to the following:

75EgLEA.png

Double clicking on an item will take the item.  Hovering over an item with the mouse curso will bring up a detailed tooltip description.  Pressing space will take all the loot provided you have sufficient room in your inventory, otherwise it will take loot until inventory is full, leaving the remaining in the corpse's remains.  Pressing esc or the x closes out the menu.

There will also be tooltips:

DffulZi.png

When you kill other player's in zones where such an activity is illegal (most towns, some other places).  You will gain criminal points notoriety points.  NPC guards, such as stormtroopers, if they notice you will stop you and ask you to pay a fine depending on your notorietypoint total.  High enough totals will result in them simply attacking you on the spot.  Murder is considered especially heinous and will gain you a lot of notoriety points.  Other activities in JKG can also earn you notoriety points such as pitpocketing, certain quest options, simply being on an opposing faction as the current zones, etc.  Looting corpses will also add a very small amount of notoriety points if done in the sight of npc guards (considered very uncouth and disrespectful).  Comparatively looting itself is worth only a few points, while murder is at least 100 depending on the target.  If you kill another criminal, if their own notoriety point total exceeds 100 you may attack and kill them without repercussion (you're basically doing the guards job for them).  If you gain enough notoriety points (say...500), bounties may also be placed on you by NPCs and anyone who kills you and turns in your datapad will be awarded the bounty money.  Player's can place bounties on any other player at any time for any reason (notoriety points have nothing to do with player awarded bounties, somebody might just want you dead), but that's a topic for a different time.  Many zones are lawless and do not affect your notoriety point total (such as the Dunesea on Tatooine) and you can commit any crimes there to your heart's content (but so can other player's so watch out!). 

When you kill someone they are guaranteed to drop the following:

1. Their datapad data (helps you complete some quests or collect bounties, cannot be sold or exchanged except to certain npcs).  This is equivalent to their autopsy report as generated by your datapad and used in the Star Wars universe to prove deaths.  This does not need to be looted and is automatically collected.
  2. 150 credits or 10% of their on hand credits whatever is highest (if carrying 5000 credits == 500 credits dropped).
  3. Their 3 least valuable items (some items are excluded from dropping such as quest items) in their inventory. If they have less than three, the remaining items are dropped.  Equipped items are not included in this!
  4. Any unique items with legendary tier (more on this in another topic).
  5. Relevant quest items (any items you would need to complete a quest by killing the player).  For example a flag in CTF mode.

Additionally, when you initiate an attack on someone (do damage with a weapon or attack), as long as they also do not have the Aggressor Debuff or notoriety points exceeding 100, you will gain an Aggressor Debuff and +25 notoriety points (NP).  The debuff lasts for 30 seconds (this is configurable). This debuff has the following effects:

• When killed, instead of dropping 10% of on hand credits, you drop 25% or 300 whichever is higher.
  • When killed, you have a 50% chance of randomly dropping any item in your inventory.  Equipped items are not included in this!
  • When killed the debuff is removed.
  • People who attack you do not gain this debuff
  • You are marked as an aggressor and depending on the NPC behavior settings, most will attack you or flee from you.  In some areas, fights are so common though that most people have stopped reacting unless they are attacked.

However, if the person you kill has notoriety points they are a whole different story.  People with NP have increasing odds of dropping something valuable in addition to the above stated.  The following effects stack with the Agressor Debuff's effects.  Here's a table:

• 1-99 NP = +3 additional item (of least value), +300 credits.
  • 100-300 NP= +5 additional items(of least value), +500 credits, +2 "valuable" items (any inventory item, not part of "least value" has chance to drop). 
  • 301-600 NP= +5 additional items(of least value), +1000 credits or 25% of credits whichever is greater, +4 valuable items, +1 equipped item (any equipped item has a chance of dropping).  Note: At this point most NPCs will attack you on sight.  Rather than trying to fine you.
  • 601-999 NP= All inventory items that are not equipped, +2500 credits or 50% of credits whichever is greater, +1 equipped item (random chance of any equipped item being the one to drop)
  • 1000+ NP= All items in inventory, all credits, +2 equipped items, the remaining equipped items each have a 50% chance of dropping.

You can reduce your NP, by doing any of the following:

• Each time you die reduces your NP by 100.
  • Killing another player who's own NP exceeds 100 will reduce your own NP by 50.
  • Paying your fine through a government agency or guards that contact you (if you run away they won't initiate the conversation and will start shooting).
  • For each valuable, equipped item dropped upon death, your NP decreases by an additional 50.  What is considered "valuable" will be set by a cvar.
  • Waiting.  Over time (while in game) your NP will gradually decrease.  This resets if you commit any new crimes.

Player's that have high NP, but nothing equipped or in their inventory, don't drop what they don't have.

Corpses that are not looted within 12 hours disappear if they do not contain any loot exceeding 1000 credits.  After 72 hours those that do will also disappear.

Edited by Darth Futuza
swegmaster, Smoo and eezstreet like this

JKG Developer

I like this, but I have the following feedback:

• There's just simply too many crime tiers. I think if you boil it down to like 3 tiers (maybe show it with a debuff; with 3 skulls overhead being the "ultimate" worst), it'll be a lot more understandable to the player.
  • I think crime points is kind of a bad name, CP as an acronym has some uh...interesting connotations... Maybe call it Notoriety or something like that.
  • It should be noted that this is only in RPG mode (ie, phase 3), not Phase 1 or Phase 2 modes, which a server should still be able to boot into and play after Phase 3 is complete.
  • Do you lose 150 CP per equipped item that you lose? (so for example, at 1000+ CP, you lose >450, +100 for the death?)
  • Do crime points increase if done in self defense? ie, killing a player who was attacking you first, would that increase crime points?

I like this, but I have the following feedback:

• There's just simply too many crime tiers. I think if you boil it down to like 3 tiers (maybe show it with a debuff; with 3 skulls overhead being the "ultimate" worst), it'll be a lot more understandable to the player.
  • I think crime points is kind of a bad name, CP as an acronym has some uh...interesting connotations... Maybe call it Notoriety or something like that.
  • It should be noted that this is only in RPG mode (ie, phase 3), not Phase 1 or Phase 2 modes, which a server should still be able to boot into and play after Phase 3 is complete.
  • Do you lose 150 CP per equipped item that you lose? (so for example, at 1000+ CP, you lose >450, +100 for the death?)
  • Do crime points increase if done in self defense? ie, killing a player who was attacking you first, would that increase crime points?

1. Yeah that's a good point.  I think 5 is a good number, that's how many GTA is and it is simple enough.  I'll see if I can simplify it a bit.  I like the idea of making it a debuff though, that's a good way of thinking about this.

2. Hahahaha....I didn't even think about...okay yeahhhh new name.  NP sounds good.

3. Yes.

4. That's where I'm a little unsure.  The problem is there's potential for cheesy abuse depending on how we do it.  (eg: Players equip some good items, but fill the rest of their equipped slots with worthless junk they don't mind losing.  There's also the problem of them deliberately trying to die with cheap items after committing a bunch of crimes to reduce their "CP" back to manageable levels.  I'm thinking the best way to do it is probably to increase the reduction from 100 "CP" for dying to 150 if the equipped item dropped is considered valuable (so 50 additional per valuable equipped item dropped). 

5. Ah something I forgot to explain.  If you are not the aggressor (ie: You are Greedo and the opponent is Han), it does not contribute to your "CP" score.  Additionally there needs to be a tier for "active criminals".  ie: People who have fired a weapon doing damage to another player (regardless of whether they have "CP" yet).  The action of attacking someone should add some small "CP" to your total (I'm thinking somewhere around +25), but more importantly it will enable an aggressor debuff on the initiator.  For the next 30 seconds, if you are killed with that debuff active an effect similar to having "CP" will occur (dropping additional inventory items/credits etc) that stacks with your current "CP" debuff.  Anyone who kills or attacks someone with an aggressor debuff active, does not incur "CP".

Will edit post with corrections.

JKG Developer