Commands console not opening

Without knowing your keyboard layout how can we help?

Shift+Escape does exist yes. By default it's bound to the `~ key wherever that is.

Not entirely true, because the ~ on my keyboard doesn't open the console where as the ¬ button beside the '1' key does, I remember trying to open the console when I first started playing was a nightmare because everyone said it was the ~ key yet pressing that and shift wasn't doing anything.

Try shift and whatever key is directly above the tab key.

MB2 Beta Tester / MB2 FA Assistant Dev

Yeah as I stated, it seems like it was since I installed OpenJK, and as before that, shift+² opened the console, and after that it didn't anymore then, I thought OpenJK changed the default biding to shift+escape.

Because now, to open AND close the commands console, it is shift + esc, by default, and can't change the binding.

You can change the binding.  Shift+Escape is the hardcoded one for cases like yours where the regular keys are not functioning but still need to access it,  You can specify any single key with cl_consoleKeys cvar.  Escape by itself always closes the console.  The default value points to ~ ` 0x7e 0x60

Here is what you can try:

Open the console with shift+escape

Enable in_keyboardDebug 1

Hold Alt (you will see alt spam but you want to press the key you want to have as console key.  It will display a line that has a Q:0x60 or some other 0x... after it, you will want to add this value after the "Q:" to your cl_consoleKeys cvar which is in your openjk.cfg

0x7e and 0x60 map to the keys already there so I assume yours will be different.