Theories on realistic lightsaber combat

I was replying to another thread when I realized I should make a topic for this, because I love to talk about it. How do you think a realistic lightsaber fight would play out in practice?

First, some assumptions:

• Single blades (without handguards) are used and share the weight and air resistance of lightsabers seen in the old trilogy (most likely requiring two hands to use properly?).
  • Blades can slide somewhat along each other.
  • Both opponents are at least reasonably trained in lightsaber combat.
  • No force knowledge plays any part.

I think it would be incredibly dangerous, in a way that would change the whole approach. These are weapons without handguards, and any touch would probably incapacitate the swordhand of whoever's using it.

If one compares to a duel with longswords, they were mostly likely (but not always) to consist of only a few exchanges at most before someone would be beaten/dead. The techniques used relied heavily on a handguard, and a lightsaber has (or had) none of such.

So I think the lack of a handguard could turn a lightsaber fight into a hand-sniping contest, happening primarily through quick binding/winding and change-throughs, leaving hands at least as the main target. Once two sabers connect, there would be a very short way for either of them to burn through the hilt or fingers, and counters/precautions would have to be made. Once their own hands would be in grave danger, quick levering strikes could be made at the head or feet, pulling the hands away for the moment. But actual strikes only seem useful as a counter to the hand-game, not as the main play.

Wasn't sure if I should reveal the nerdiest side of me, but there you have it! Any other theories?

NAB622 likes this