Movie Battles II just crashes...

Go to solution Solved by Cerez,

The client mismatch error comes from the incorrect cgamex86.dll file being loaded, so deleting any config files won't help here.

I think I've identified the problem then. OpenJK (and jamp) used to incorrectly load game DLLs from the GameData/ folder as the first place to look. This would override all mod/base folder DLLs. I fixed this problem a few months ago, but it seems like MB2 hasn't been updated to include my fix.

We've got it, @@Xycaleth! We have a confirmed fix for the client mismatch error:

1. Create a clean installation of JKA with the 1.01 patch installed.

2. Install MBII there, and make sure you've run a few checks on your MBII download (using the launcher settings) to make sure that the download/installation completed successfully.

3. Switch to using the "MBII client" in the launcher settings.

4. Copy cgame.x86.dll from "GameData/MBII" out directly into your GameData folder. Make sure that you have a jampgame.x86.dll from your default JKA installation also present in your GameData folder.

5. Launch MBII using the launcher and join a server. Voila!

Edit: Perhaps I need to copy jampgame.x86.dll and cgame.x86.dll from "GameData/MBII" into "GameData" to fix this client mismatch, then?

No, neither cgamex86.dll, jampgamex86.dll nor uix86.dll should ever be in GameData. Ever.

I downloaded MB2 just now to test things out and it works fine for me. Can you check that you have the GameData/MBII/MBII.pk3 file? In there should be cgamex86.dll, jampgamex86.dll and uix86.dll.

• Solution

No, neither cgamex86.dll, jampgamex86.dll nor uix86.dll should ever be in GameData. Ever.

I downloaded MB2 just now to test things out and it works fine for me. Can you check that you have the GameData/MBII/MBII.pk3 file? In there should be cgamex86.dll, jampgamex86.dll and uix86.dll.

Okay, so in the end, after all this confusion, this whole mess comes down to this:

1. The local "create game" feature will crash (if you're using a custom screen resolution no matter what). This has no fix until a patch is released for the MBII client.

2. Make sure your JKA installation has been patched to 1.01.

3. Make sure you've run multiple checks on your MBII download/installation (enable this in the installer-launcher's settings) until all shows as OK.

4. Clean everything out of your "GameData/base" folder but the assets0-3 PK3s -- as any DLLs there will interfere with MBII's client.

5. If you're still getting a "client mismatch" error, make sure you have cgamex86.dll removed from your "GameData" or "GameData/base" folder.

6. Use the launcher to launch with the "MBII client" (choose in settings) and join an MBII server.

This still means that you need a separate installation of JKA just for the MBII client, however. All my tests indicate that the MBII client is loading stuff from "GameData/base" in terms of DLLs instead of looking in "GameData/MBII" for them. That is until it can't find them in "GameData/base"...

Xycaleth likes this