Parent Tags Question for Model

So I'm at the point into Mr Wonko's exporting a sword from Blender to JA video where we do tags and I had a question regarding them. Since he made a sword its obvious that a lightsaber is the choice to use a reference in Modview. With that in mind my grenade model should use the Thermal Detonator stuff since its a grenade. The only problem is that my grenade has a handle while the Thermal Detonator is round.

Is it going to make a difference? Should I copy tags for a similar model hand hold (like a saber)? 

grencolor2_zpsxymhehtd.jpg

Well, where the object is held is where the corresponding tag should lie. But it's always a bit of a hit and miss. Try different scenarios until you get a good behaviour in-game.

I had to shift Ahsoka's left hand tag nearly 30 times to get the second saber to behave in her hand properly. What seemed logical at first was not at all how the tag worked in the end.

From what I've seen the game engine is quite flexible with positioning. It is only structural details that it monitors closely.

Well, where the object is held is where the corresponding tag should lie. But it's always a bit of a hit and miss. Try different scenarios until you get a good behaviour in-game.

I had to shift Ahsoka's left hand tag nearly 30 times to get the second saber to behave in her hand properly. What seemed logical at first was not at all how the tag worked in the end.

From what I've seen the game engine is quite flexible with positioning. It is only structural details that it monitors closely.

This is what I ended up with. My only concern is that when I move the tag in Blender up or down on the handle, save and export the model, then export and test the glm file, it seems my Rebel trooper is still holding it in the same place. I'm actually thrilled I got this far, but, I'm not sure what is going on with that tag.

grenglm_zpsllilg2sb.jpg

This is what I ended up with. My only concern is that when I move the tag in Blender up or down on the handle, save and export the model, then export and test the glm file, it seems my Rebel trooper is still holding it in the same place. I'm actually thrilled I got this far, but, I'm not sure what is going on with that tag.

grenglm_zpsllilg2sb.jpg

Wait, are you talking about moving the hand tag of the soldier model, or the object (grenade) model's hold tag?

The former is tricky. The way it works is that the top-left corner of the tag needs to cross with a face of the model. Depending on which face it crosses, its position will change in-game. So if you wanted to move it higher, you need to move it for the corner to touch a higher face in the palm, or even the wrist.

If you mean the latter, then I'm not sure why moving the tag up and down the handle produces no result. If that's the hold position marker, it should shift the object in the player model's hand, as long as the corner of the tag is crossing with a face of the handle.

You need to move the actual model, not the tag if you want the weapon's position on the hand altered. :)

What do you mean by that, DT? :huh:

Edit: Oh, the weapon's model! So it's just relative to center point, then?

So I set up my parent tag in Blender...and I have my mesh sitting at o,o,o  i should move my Z-axis higher or lower in order to change it?

Have a look at your screenshot. The center point is where the middle of the hand is. You need to move the model higher in order to get a lower grip on the handle -- so into positive Z.