The new Star Wars trailer from a critical perspective

Note: If you want to bask in the glow of the new trailer, don't read this. Just enjoy the feeling. This thread looks at it with a more critical eye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngElkyQ6Rhs

Hmm... Somehow this all seems too familiar...

Let's see, where have I seen it before? Maybe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6DJcgm3wNY

Ring-a-ding? ;) (Old inspirational text and themes re-used to invoke a strong nostalgic feeling?)

If that's anything to go by, then this teaser trailer doesn't say much about the movie's contents at all.

It's a good trailer. It inspires, it raises hair, but it doesn't say much about the nature of the movie itself. But perhaps with so much criticism and scrutiny this is exactly what a new Star Wars movie needs; a little unbiased old-school vibe.

@@Cerez

I sent the trailer to several people, which includes various categories of fans - of different age + whether they are fans of OT or prequels, or both.

Some people say, that the trailer does indeed has a lot from the OT. I can't say I agree with them, though I also feel the intention of the authors to do so. Some of the older people say, that the new movie will never be too close to the OT, because the shown scenes are made with lots of FX and it is obvious that the film is full of "cool stuff" and what people now like in Star Wars. Especially the lightsaber dueling.

While it is good to see Vader's mask, old good guys and probably the new generation of heroes (and villains), the appearance of some might indicate, that the authors do want to raise the rating of the movie to the level of glory of the OT, which is appraised by most now, more than the prequels.

And somehow I feel, that J.J.Abrams and co listened to the most popular idea now, that "the prequels are bad as bad can be" and other things like that. So the new film will use Episodes IV-VI as a basis for the background legend, ignoring all other stuff for the most part. And...

It was revealed in the spoilers, that the new characters are quite unaware of what the Old Republic represented, what the Clone Wars were actually about, etc. Only one guy in the movie would remember all these things.

Cerez likes this

Yes, I think that makes perfect sense. Telling a new story, with new characters, in a new era. This tie-in trailer confuses that concept a bit. I'm not sure how tactfully the movie will deal with this, if it does indeed attempt to resurrect old themes the way this trailer portrays it. But if the situation will be similar to how the Superman sequel was managed, then there will be very little that ties this movie to the original trilogy. However, that also means that this movie would feel a little more like the prequels, as well. It will introduce new ideas, and expand on the world of Star Wars.

Edit: The thing is, the director and storytellers of this movie can't have both: it is either a direct sequel, or it is an entirely new story. I think if you merge the two, you will end up with a big mess that just doesn't feel completely right, any way you look at it.

@@Cerez

It was said, that the story would be new. I am positive, that each 3 movies reflect the general ideas and atmosphere of the real world:

Episodes IV-VI - post-WWII era, Sci-Fi of those times, Cold War

Episodes I-III - 1990s- early 2000s. I guess there is no need to remind anyone, what was happening those years.

Episode VII - IX - the reflection of 2010s. Believe or not I see 2000s and 2010s to be too different as well, AS different as 1950s would be with 1980s, or 1920s with 1970s.

So it will be a bridge between eras. I think =)

Cerez likes this

It was said, that the story would be new.

Oh good. Then I guess this assessment of the new trailer is correct.

So it will be a bridge between eras. I think =)

That makes perfect sense, both production-quality-wise, and release time-wise (audience-wise). I think I will be walking into the cinema expecting to see an entirely new story, set in a new chapter of Star Wars -- not a continuation of episode 6/3.

I think the trailer doesn't reveal the fact, that Episode VII would be like a bridge, so that the essence of Star Wars would move on from older generations to newer ones.

Having rewatched the trailer, I can't help but wonder, that eyes, the trailer is great, it has so much, though only the movie would reveal true facts. But when I watch it, hear this troubling music (after the word Christmas appears), troubling sounds (troopers march, explosions) and other details, I feel that the movie would have too much not from Star Wars. It's not bad, but are we ready for some sort of over-realism in Star Wars? I feel it will be in the movie.

The film might prove bad, and the trailer might simply be like a candy from a box full of bitterness. Yet, there are great hopes, at least because we have talented people, including some very prominent actors, who will pull all this out.

No, it will be enjoyable, you can count on that. But go in expecting to see a new movie set in a new era of Star Wars. Not the old trilogy. There will be references to the old trilogy for sure, but that's all they will be -- vague references. The new story will take a shape of its own. I think I do see how this will work.

Hopefully they get the relationships to feel right. The lasting effect of the movie is dependant on it.

Who are the main villains besides Kylo and the Elite "Chrome" Trooper since we've only seen them.Not to mention where's Luke, Leia, the "Uber" character and a few others since there missing.I know its just a teaser but something tells me theres more to it than just a few scenes .If you look carefully you can see Imperial Officers in the background.

• @DrXann

• Kylo Ren and Chrome Trooper are only two of the villains. Others include (rumoured):

- Imperial Leader (seen in the trailer)

- Unknown Bad Guy behind all the events (not seen in the movie, to be revealed in Episode VIII)

- Gleeson character (not officially a villain, but joined the different side).

There are also quite a lot of GOOD guys. Hand of the little alien is seen in the trailer, I want to know much about this little guy/girl.

I am positive we see it in this picture:

Daisy-Ridley-Boyega-Saber-615x353.jpeg

And the Cyborg Veteran old guy - another mystery and a man behind the mask.

Did they reuse the Original Trilogy Imperial Uniforms? since you can see them in the background.Does the Alliance/New Republic have their fleets and military forces since in the movie its been 30 or so years after the Battle of Endor and Jakku. They should have some form of fleet and command structure.I wonder how Anakin's lightsaber manged to get to Jakku since it was on Bespin.

• 1 month later...