Jedi Academy Samsung Chromebook!(arm)

flowabuse

Can I run Jedi Academy on a Samsung Chromebook XE303C12-A01US ? I am running ubuntu linux in a chroot enviroment with crouton. Since gaming on this chromebook is very limited due to the arm processor, having ja would put a very big smile on my face :P

This topic should be moved to another spot, this doesn't look like it has anything to do with OpenJK.

To answer your question.  Compare the game specs to your computers own specs, not in terms of simply OS but its cpu, ram, harddrive, and video card.  Lunix distrubtions can still work playing, especially older game like this, video games.  Just you're gonna have to do a little more work to get it setup in regards to drivers and such aka more jumping through hoops.  But don't be surprised if it doesn't run as optimally for you as it would on a native Windows OS.  Lunix requires more manual work instead of a stream line install for something like this.

Games system specs are easily dwarfed/ran on lot more modern computers even cheap ones in this day and age could still, more or less, run the game topped out fine.  I was using a ATI 9250 when I played this starting out, that should give you an idea of what your system being able to run it or not.  Also post your computer specs so people can see it and I'm sure someone can give you more in depth information provided you hit any roadbumps with the setup/install process.

Going off back of the game CD case (cause this game really doesn't need much for more modern systems, even cheap laptops from walmart can probably run it fine now a days):

Minimum:

Computer: 100% DirectX 9.0a computer

CPU: Pentium III or Anthlon class 450mhz or faster cpu

Memory: 128MB Ram required. 256 Ram recommended

Graphics Card: 32MB OpenGL 1.4 compatible PCI or AGP 3D Hardware accelator

Sound Card: 16-bit DirectX 9.0a compatible sound card

CD-ROM: Quad Speed IDE or SCSI CD-ROM

Harddrive space: 1.3GB

Multiplayer

CPU: 450 MHZ or faster, 750MHZ recommended

Supported chipsets:

ATI Radeon 7000/8000/9000/Rage 128/128 PRO

NVIDIA Geforce 256/2/3/4/RIVA TNT2/FX

It's not a matter of the OS or system specs, he needs it compiled specifically for the ARM architecture.

I've done some preliminary work on porting OpenJK to ARM (for Raspberry Pi) but only the dedicated servers works so far.

It would need a slight renderer rewrite for the limited OpenGL ES feature set.

DT. and Cerez like this

Jedi Outcast ran fine on my Acer netbook that I got in 2010. All it had was 1 gig of ram and an Intel Atom processor, no dedicated graphics chip either. It lagged a little when there were more than like 8 bots in multiplayer though. 

Also, if you can run Android on your Chromebook, JA and JO have been ported to Android. You don't have to use Linux to run it. 

Cerez likes this

Yes but won't my performance be decreased if i run a android app in browser? I have the app on my nexus 5 it works wonderfull :)

Try it and see. I expect the Chromebook (a laptop) should have better tech specs than the Nexus (a phone), which should make up for the performance cost, if any. If you want to get lots of native code games working on a Chromebook, it's a worthy attempt to get a full version of the Android OS working on it first, though.

Can one dual-boot Android and Ubuntu?

Edit: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2390180/google-will-now-allow-android-and-linux-usb-boot-on-chromebooks

Be sure to backup all your files before attempting such an operation.