Thoughts on JK::Outcast

So I finally got around to playing Jedi Outcast recently, since I am playing the Jedi Knight series in order from Dark Forces II (finally got it working flawlessly through Wine on my Kubuntu install), through to JKA (the first game in the series that I actually played).

The storyline in Outcast was pretty good all around, still not quite as good as Dark Forces II, but still better than JKA IMO. The first couple of levels were the most fun to play, the engine for the Jedi Knight games seems quite well rounded even without any lightsaber combat. Likewise, Nar Shadaa, Bespin, and the Cairn Facility were well done, although the Cairn Facility dragged on for too long IMO.

Oddly enough, Desann was actually a complete pushover for me, only taking about a minute or so to finish off with force speed and remotes. The force speed seemed really overpowered in Outcast, since none of the NPCs speed up to match you like they did in JKA.

One aspect of Outcast that was much better than Academy was the use of battery power with the night vision goggles & the binoculars. having to budget this while sneaking around in dark rooms made for a much more challenging gameplay experience. If this could ever be added to JKA, I would love to see it.

One question about the game: If Kyle left his lightsaber with luke after the events of Mysteries of the Sith, why is the blade blue when he gets it back in Outcast? Yuns lightsaber that Kyle picked up in Dark Forces II was yellow IIRC.

One question about the game: If Kyle left his lightsaber with luke after the events of Mysteries of the Sith, why is the blade blue when he gets it back in Outcast? Yuns lightsaber that Kyle picked up in Dark Forces II was yellow IIRC.

If I remember correctly, after the ending of Mysteries of the Sith, Kyle builds a new lightsaber, leaving Yun's saber behind.

In regards to inventory items, they're still present in Jedi Academy, though they're simply not used. You can still bind keys to invnext / invprev / invuse, and as far as I know the only bugged item is the Light Amplification Goggles. In my experience, the Bacta Tanks also are somewhat buggy, and can only be used with the specific use key instead than the generic "use held item" key. Aside from that, the inventory is still all there.

BruceJohnJenner likes this

If I remember correctly, after the ending of Mysteries of the Sith, Kyle builds a new lightsaber, leaving Yun's saber behind.

In regards to inventory items, they're still present in Jedi Academy, though they're simply not used. You can still bind keys to invnext / invprev / invuse, and as far as I know the only bugged item is the Light Amplification Goggles. In my experience, the Bacta Tanks also are somewhat buggy, and can only be used with the specific use key instead than the generic "use held item" key. Aside from that, the inventory is still all there.

That seems odd, that he would leave it behind. You would kind of think that it would mean something to him, given that Yun saved his life... Oh well :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info on the inventory iterms. How so do the night-vision goggles bug out? And, I assume the power variable must still be present, just not visible on the hud. Do Gonk droids still recharge it?

I think the new saber was a part of his training, and thus more "personal"; that may be the reason why he left Yun's lightsaber behind.

The LA Goggles simply don't seem to work correctly as they did in JK2. Instead of the orangeish hue they show nothing, they have no practical usefulness in JA. I'm not sure, but I think OpenJK fixed that. And the Dark Forces mod also did something with them, if I remember correctly. I don't know if Gonk recharge the batteries.

BruceJohnJenner likes this

Oddly enough, Desann was actually a complete pushover for me, only taking about a minute or so to finish off with force speed and remotes. The force speed seemed really overpowered in Outcast, since none of the NPCs speed up to match you like they did in JKA.

I actually bet Desann by crushing him with one of those pillars that are there in that room. 

Lancelot likes this