Making a Stripe on a Texture

Yeah, this stuff is really tough for me. I have Gimp 2.8 and Paint.net  

I have a plaster wall texture and I want to make a transparent stripe of another color on across it. In Gimp, I tried using the airbrush in block form and it worked great except that each click made the middle more dark then the outside edges. I'd like it to be equally transparent across the entire texture so it'll tile better.

Any tips or tutorials you can point me towards would help. 

Yeah, this stuff is really tough for me. I have Gimp 2.8 and Paint.net  

I have a plaster wall texture and I want to make a transparent stripe of another color on across it. In Gimp, I tried using the airbrush in block form and it worked great except that each click made the middle more dark then the outside edges. I'd like it to be equally transparent across the entire texture so it'll tile better.

Any tips or tutorials you can point me towards would help. 

Just drag it (so you aren't repeatedly clicking)?

JKG Developer

You can click somewhere off to one side of the texture, hold shift and go across the texture to the other side to make a line and click, and it should make a stripe that's not darker in any place.

Or just make a new transparent layer, use a regular brush to make a solid colored stripe, and lower the opacity/change the layer's mode.

I've got Gimp 2.6, but I'm pretty sure those features are still in 2.8.

Here's something I made really quickly:

1. First select the area you want the stripe at with the box tool (Example)

2. Then select the paint brush tool and the color you want (Example).  If you want it to be slightly transparent, change the default opacity slider bar from 100% to something lower (I used 50% in this example).

3. Then drag your brush across the boxed/highlighted area you selected in 1 (do it all in one mouse click, don't release the mouse button).  (Example)

JKG Developer

Here's something I made really quickly:

1. First select the area you want the stripe at with the box tool (Example)

2. Then select the paint brush tool and the color you want (Example).  If you want it to be slightly transparent, change the default opacity slider bar from 100% to something lower (I used 50% in this example).

3. Then drag your brush across the boxed/highlighted area you selected in 1 (do it all in one mouse click, don't release the mouse button).  (Example)

Ahhh, the selection tool!!! Didn't know it acted as a border. Thanks for that info because this worked and only took 5 minutes. Turned out pretty good.

editorshot2_zps917c3a6c.jpg

You can click somewhere off to one side of the texture, hold shift and go across the texture to the other side to make a line and click, and it should make a stripe that's not darker in any place.

Or just make a new transparent layer, use a regular brush to make a solid colored stripe, and lower the opacity/change the layer's mode.

I've got Gimp 2.6, but I'm pretty sure those features are still in 2.8.

It is.

I tend to make a layer above the texture I want, use a square brush, make one 'spot', hold shift (and ctrl to keep it at a straight angle) and click where i want it to end)