Small pipes/wires in Radiant?

Go to solution Solved by Szico VII,

I'm trying to figure out how to make small wires and pipes that bend around and such in Radiant, problem is you can easily make a cylinder and bend it but they have to be a certain thickness or else they just don't work. Any ideas?

@@MoonDog What are you using as brushes to start with? Just starting with a straight rectangular block of whatever length, cutting the edges (in order to round them and make it an 8-sided brush) and then just use the vertices tool? And how many brushes is something like the one above, 15-20?

And while we're at it, how do you make the grid display smaller units/increments? It's been so long since I've mapped.

Those are cylinder patch meshes. Just make a regular brush the size of the cylinder you like and go to the Curve drop down at the top. Click the cylinder button. The brush selected will be converted to a mesh. Then you can edit the vertices with (V). Grid increments can be changed with the number keys.

This is exactly what I've been doing, as far as I know. Perhaps I just need to work on it.

• Solution

Patched have never had a mimimum thickness to my knowledge....can make them as small as the grid will allow!

Sometimes curves appear not to change in radiant because the LOD (level-of-detail) sets a certain level of smoothness. You can change this in options under patch subdivisions if you want to 1 or 2 (takes a performance hit mind). However in-game the default subdivisions is 4 I believe. Basically, it may not look different in radiant but it will look smooth ingame.