3DS Max 8 not working on W7 Ultimate 64-bit

Hi everyone,

So as the title suggests. For some reason, even though I have had 3DS Max 8 running on Windows Ultimate 64-bit before, it crashes while opening. It's the same copy, and software wise I haven't changed anything. However, I have put a new ATI graphics card in my computer since I re-installed the program and before I was running it with nVidia. I have tried updating the drivers with no luck.

If anyone can think of any other reasons why it might not be working and a potential fix, I would greatly appreciate it. Is there another version I can try, maybe 2009+? Or am I not able to model/weight and import/export as I did in Max 8.

Thanks for your time guys.

Thanks for your replies guys. 

@DT

Do you mean the graphics settings in 3DS Max? Problem is it crashes before I even get a chance to do anything. If you mean my driver software for the GPU then I'd appreciate it if you could confirm this. 

@@minilogoguy18

That's all well and good, however, I would need the x64-bit ultimate version due to the system I'm running.

Try this http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=5582319&linkID=9241177. If that doesn't work, get someone to port your models to Sofimage Mod Tool and use Mod Tool 7.5. You don't need third party plugins to export to dotxsi, you can create custom parameter sets for each object so carcass can build the proper shader files and the polygon modeling tools are still unmatched by 3dsmax or Maya. Another huge plus is Minilogo's advanced rig and expertise if you happen to need to do new animations.

Thanks for your replies guys. 

@DT

Do you mean the graphics settings in 3DS Max? Problem is it crashes before I even get a chance to do anything. If you mean my driver software for the GPU then I'd appreciate it if you could confirm this. 

In the start menu, there is a shortcut for 3ds Max 8 called Change Graphics Mode. It will load up max to a point before the window will appear to change anything. Also, are any other 3d programs/games having issue?

If you're used to how everything works in 3ds Max and haven't a clue (like me) about XSI ModTool, I'd be trying to get this to work. Otherwise, XSI ModTool is a viable alternative.

If you're used to how everything works in 3ds Max and haven't a clue (like me) about XSI ModTool, I'd be trying to get this to work. Otherwise, XSI ModTool is a viable alternative.

Don't see how it's that hard to transition, Corto and I both did it. Softimage's interface is so easy people almost overlook how simple it is, everything is in plain english rather than cartoony, colorful icons that you have to hover your mouse over to find out what the button does.