Weird issue with a cellphone...

Go to solution Solved by CrimsonStrife,

So I've had my phone for a long time now, and have never encountered this before.  I recently made a new friend at an event I went to, and we were planning to keep in touch.  But my phone is persistently messing up her number in my contacts.  I know I have the right number, I can call her, she can call me, and it displays in my contact info just fine...but when I try to text, instead of going to a 919 916 XXXX it goes to a 916 916 XXXX.

It's weird and I can't find anything about it online.

Sorry to be about as useful as 'try turning it off and on again' but have you tried deleting and re-adding the number?

Indeed, several times, in fact I have even tried adding it under other names, and tried adding a +1 at the beginning, which sometimes you need to do here in the U.S.

The only conclusion I have drawn so far is that it may have something to do with her Facebook info.  I have a smartphone which syncs any Facebook friends that have contact info, to my contacts.  She says the number is right on her profile, but on both my phone and computer it displays in the weird 916916XXXX fashion...though it also has random ass spacing.  Odd thing was, prior to her actually giving me her number, that was what had synced to my phone, and it still ID'd her properly when she called me for the first time.

I have tried deleting the Facebook info off my phone, and that didn't seem to fix it...but that is still my theory, especially since they display the same incorrect number.

However, it doesn't make sense why it should break the number even if it has no way to connect to the Facebook profile.  This is also the only time I have had this happen, and I have several friends with 919 916 numbers.

• Solution

Sounds like a software bug. Make sure you have the latest version of whatever-OS-your-phone-can-run installed. Might be a problem with some app you have installed, too.

Not an OS update, already checked that before posting.

The app thing sorta matches my theory, as I said, I have a Facebook app that syncs my contacts, and that was where I first saw the broken number. I disabled the sync function except for contacts that already exist in my phone, deleted her contact, and recreated it.

This process seems to have worked, however I did a number of other things right about the same time, so I really don't know what it was that finally resolved the issue.