Few questions regarding model textures and npcs

Rage

Hey guys,

I got 3 questions mentioned in the topic title, it would be very cool if you could help me with that.

At first, I asked myself more than once, how it is possible just to give a map_object another texture? For example like make the trees from yavin covered with snow? I know that there's a possibility by just copying the original texture, paint it and using a code in the Radiant when the model is selected and writing in the entity menu that the new texture should be used. But when I tried it out, the FPS very much went down. Do I have to have some modelling skills for this or is there another solution?

Next problem is that I wanna make some of the npcs in my maps sit on a chair or something. I saw that in Szicos Atlantica, but I think he made the scripts by himself (?). Is it difficult, or am I allowed to use them?

And last but not least, is it possible to get the npcs walking around in MP aswell? That might sound stupid if it can be that OF COURSE it's not possible, but I just wanted to ask if there is any possibility, 'cause that might look very cool.

Thanks and peace ;)

Rage

I can't imagine the fps going down when you use a remapped texture, unless you were initially using misc_model_static or made the changed texture insanely big. You can create a custom model, but there is absolutely no difference to remapping if you use misc_model.

Yes, making an npc play animations is done via script. No, that's not terribly hard. Look for SET_ANIM_BOTH.

Yes, making npcs walk in multiplayer is possible via script, but they're way worse at navigating than in sp. They'll need to be able to walk straight to where you point them. Look for target_navgoal and SET_NAVGOAL.

Yea, I used the remap key, but it could be that it wasn't a misc_model_static but a misc_model. But it's good to know that the fps normaly don't go down.

Yep, I got behaved, but I'm not very used to it, got to look for some tutorials I guess, or do you have some other suggestions? :P

Thanks for your replies!