couple Q's about the animevents.cfg

Dusty

Just going to throw these out here...

1. What is the difference between upperevents and lowerevents?

Isn't lowerevents for when the character is sitting still, and upperevents for when the character is moving?

2. For the move/push commands, what are the push amounts measured in?

(Like for making an animation move you forwards/backwards etc.) It tells you to give an amount X to push the character, but it doesn't give you any scale or reference.

Okay, so my animevents.cfg is weird. Some things don't always work. Anyone know why? Like I noticed the game by default has a sound event for playing the punch "swing" sound when you throw a punch for the BOTH_MELEE1 and BOTH_MELEE2 animations under upperevent (logically it should be an upperevent I would think). This doesn't work however ingame, as punches are always silent (I don't think this is a syntax error in the entries for the sound, as they are set up the same way as kicking sounds in animevents which works perfectly). If I put these two under lowerevents then the sound will play under certain save games (why only certain game files? this confounds me. perhaps something to do with the game reloading animation files.) while the character is standing still only.

I'm having similar problems along these lines with another thing I'm trying to do through animevents. Last but not least, a question. Are BOTH animations suppose to have copied entries in upper and lower events to work correctly? Or no? For the punching sound effects at least, whether I have it in both or not seems to make no difference.

I would recommend starting a new game every time you make a change, as savegames save the status of the game and all things included in it (it's even possible for functionality of guns, etc to be saved, making for some serious WTF moments when you're trying to debug..). MP may be better for testing in this case

If it's a BOTH_ animation, it would be logical to put it in both upperevents and lowerevents, since it's affecting both the torso and the legs. Though in the code, it tells the game to continue the legs animation while moving, so if you punch while moving, your animations don't go out of whack. It's just some weird mojo going on there.

Thanks for the help eez. Anyways, I'll tell you this for sure, the entry for the punches just flat out doesn't work right. The only functionality I can get out of it is I can make the punches make noise while the player is standing still by being in lower events. Nothing else seems to work with the numerous fiddlings I've done.

Now if it wasn't already obvious, I'm all talking about in Single Player. Now, I tried removing all the mods from my base folder (save files that weren't .pk3s). Now I checked in the assets1.pk3 and saw that the animevents.cfg in it has an identical entry in upperevents for BOTH_MELEE1 and BOTH_MELEE2, both animations with separate entries that are exactly the same save the animation name.

But in SP when I devmaped a new map, I noticed this. The punch sound only played on the right hand punch. The left hand punch was always silent. And iirc, I'm pretty sure the sound plays for both punches in MP. This honestly makes no sense to me.

I figured it out.... kinda. It seems like some sort of "memory" problem in upperevents. I guess it has too many entries, because when I took some out, the punch sounds worked. What I tried doing to get around having to take entries out of upperevents, is I made a second list for it in addition to the first. Seems to work so far.

Like:

UPPEREVENTS

{

blah blah blah

(50 some events here)

}

UPPEREVENTS

{

blah blah blah

}

therfiles likes this