Needing Help With Making Character Have Facial Movement

Hi,

So I am extremely new at modding - I have finally managed to skin a character together - took a while - anyway, I am trying to move the face bones - (so the character has the facial movements in game - talk etc.) - I move them in place - save - then export my model, but when I view it in modview the mouth still doesn't move!

Importing my new mod back into blender, I see the facial bones have snapped back out of place into their original position. It is very frustrating!! Does anybody know how to fix this? Some help would be great! Thank you!

You cannot move the bones, all player models share the _humanoid skeleton and have to conform to it. Besides, you don't need to move bones to attach the model to them, you need to weight the model, i.e. define which vertex is affected by which bone. Since this needs to be quite precise for facial animation, weight painting may be the best option.

After hours of searching - I don't know how many videos online - I finally found the one that worked for me. Finally someone that explained it through for us "newbies".

Blender is complicated for "first timers" and  through this tutorial I was able to figure out how to assign vertex groups in blender.  By figuring this out I was then able to figure out the automatic weight function to the specified bone and ta-da! my character now has the ability to "talk"

This might seem very silly and trivial to some of you established modders - but it certainly was a big breakthrough for me! 

Anyway, for those of you wondering how to assign vertexes - here is the video I used:

P.s I hope this can be helpful to the "newbies" out there🙂

• WhiteSaber changed the title to Needing Help With Making Character Have Facial Movement