Various problems with SoF2 weapon models (.glm & .gla)

Hey folks,

Since a few days I have commenced engaging myself with modeling of SoF2 weapons. I'm using Blender (3.4.1) with JA Import/Export Tools to open and process SoF2 .glm and .gla files.

What I'm currently trying to achieve right now is:

1.) Connecting two different weapon .glm models - a gun silencer and a weapon - together, so that the silencer is attached to the muzzle of the weapon.

2.) And conversely, removing certain parts of a weapon .glm model - again, a silencer - in order to create a non-suppressed version of that particular gun, because the "MP5" submachine gun added with Patch 1.01 has the silencer already integrated/attached to it in it's .glm file, so in reality, it's a MP5SD but still designated simply as "MP5" in the game files. Basically, I want to create a non-SD MP5 model by using the MP5SD model as a basis and simply deleting/removing it's silencer from the muzzle and then saving it as "MP5A5.glm" (and .gla").

I thought, Goal #2 would be particularly easy since I do not add anything to but just remove something of the model instead. However, it appears not to be that simple, because this is what it actually looks like in-game after having been edited and saved by me as a separate model:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

As to be seen in the upper left and left portions of the first 3 screenshots, the animation seems to play fine, but the weapon's position Inview is massively distorted and the black object in the middle of the screen appears to be the magazine clip of the gun (see "mp5world.glm" in the screenshots further below for reference). Not only that the position is distorted, I also cannot fire the weapon and even worse, I cannot switch back to another weapon - both the Fire button and the weapon switching number buttons do not work anymore! I have to restart the level and avoid switching to the MP5A5 in order to "fix" it.

This is the Inview display of the MP5(SD) *base model* from SoF2 Patch 1.01 I used as a starting point to create my new model: (probably "mp5.glm") (I renamed the weapon to MP5A5SD)

spacer.png

This is the World display of the same weapon model: (probably "mp5world.glm")

spacer.png

Now, there are several Weapon Mods for SoF2 ("Weapon Mod 5.0", "Kin Mod" and Multiplayer-only mods like "Jeel SpecOps 3.1") that have the MP5 without the silencer attached and this one here I have cut out of "Weapon Mod 5.0" and renamed to MP5A5: (designated "MP5A3" by the author of the mod, but apparently still using the same .glm/.gla file like the Patch 1.01 MP5 - somehow, the author still managed to get it to be displayed *Inview* without the silencer; this screenshot is the Inview version)

spacer.png

However, the *World View* (probably "mp5world.glm") model still looks like this: (it has the silencer still attached while it actually shouldn't...)

spacer.png

That's, when I decided to start off cleanly from scratch by opening the original model from Patch 1.01 ("mp5.glm" and "mp5world.glm", respectively - along with their animation counterparts "mp5.gla" and "mp5world.gla", respectively) in Blender and simply removing the silencer from it's muzzle along with ALL references to it in it's model tree and then saving it as a new .glm/.gla file. But as you can see in the screenshots further above, it did not work as expected.

And as usual, I don't know what the heck I've done wrong or missed doing - so, I have come up with this thread instead😛

Very important notice: I've also captured an extensive number of screenshots in Blender - a screenshot for every step I made in Blender while creating the new model (more than 40 screenies in total), so you can better reconstruct/pinpoint the error. I can upload these screenies here on request or will eventually upload them on my own behalf😉

T.S.O.M.

mjt likes this
  • TheSpiritOfMorpheus changed the title to Various problems with SoF2 weapon models (.glm & .gla)
  • 2 weeks later...

Erm... Nothing!? It's been 2 weeks since I opened this topic and 0 replies? I know, this forum is about JK games but SoF2 shares the same engine (Q3A engine, GHOUL2 modeling system, ICARUS scripting system, etc.), the same engine file structure, the same filetypes (.glm, .gla, .ibi, .rof, .npc, .efx, .shader, .md3) and many other commonalities. I can also guess, that most of you will not have interest in this game since this forum/site is a JK franchise fan site about JK games and naturally, the predominant majority of members here will only care for JK/JK3 topics.

Still, for the sake of enthusiasm, I hope for support and walkthroughs when I'm stuck at something (like now). Because there is no site for SoF2 modding with comparable quality like here on JKHub😀

To make it easier for you to assist me, I decided to upload the screenshots of each of my Blender steps taken while editing the above-mentioned .glm and .gla files:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png