Help with custom model with collision

Hello!

I started a duel map for JA a long time ago and never got to finish it. I ended up abandoning it because I couldn't solve a colision error I've been having. 

However I'd like to get back to it and some help would be very welcome. It's been a while since I last opened radiant so some input would help me avoid lots of trial and error.

I made entire level as one model with a simpler model for collision. It worked well at the time, except for that small collision bug (I could pass through one part of the model).

So, I'd like to know how do I set up the collision for imported model, and can I use another UV channel for lightmap I'll make in 3ds max. Or should I bake everything into one atlas (diffuse + lightmap).

Many thanks in advance!

• Evader changed the title to Help with custom model with collision

The model is too complex for brushes. It's been more than 15 years since I last worked with radiant, so I don't really remember how I did it and I don't have the original map file.

Do I export collision as .md3? Or .ase? And how do I set different materials in collision? 

Thanks!

TheWhitePhoenix likes this

So, I've created a map with .ase render geometry and .ase collision geometry. I applied system/clip material to the collision geometry and added spawnflags 2 key. For some reason this doesn't work, but spawnflags 6 on render model works great (although player maybe sticks too much to surfaces). 

Can anyone shed some light on this? Should I try a different material?

Thanks!

MD3 is limited to 1024 units in each dimension (-512 to +512), so is unsuitable for large models. Other than that, the format used is irrelevant, because Q3Map2 embeds the model in the .bsp, it no longer references the original file.

I'm surprised that spawnflags 2 does not work as intended, I would have expected it to.

Note that you can shoot through system/clip, if I remember correctly system/physicsclip is a bulletproof alternative.

I don't know how/if you can define the material of auto-generated clip brushes. You're talking about the surface flags that control the sound of footsteps, the types of effects played etc., right?

Evader likes this

So, in the end I appropriated one material with "q3map_material SolidMetal" I used for render geometry and made it invisible in blend stage of the shader especially for collision mesh. Not very pretty I imagine, but it works. In this way spawnflags 2 worked as well.

I uploaded the map and I'm waiting for approval. I'm open to suggestions to improve it, so please let me know. I included .map and .ase files as well...