The workings of breakparrybonus...

(This is mainly about the field you can edit in .sab files)

This one behaves a little strange I've noticed.

You would think it'd be the direct opposite of parrybonus. But it's not. Parrybonus affects your strength in a block. The stronger you are, the harder it is for your guard to be broken/staggered by an attack, and the more likely you are to be able to block/parry an attack. You'd think the value of breakparrybonus would work inversely, as in:

(medium style vs. medium)

attacker- defender- result (the way the defender reacts)-

BPB = 1 PB = 1 normal block behavior (same as if it was 0 vs. 0, 2 vs. 2, -3 vs. -3 etc.)

BPB = 0 PB = 1 parry/knockaway

BPB = 1 PB = 0 stagger/guard break

But instead this is what I've noticed:

attacker- defender- result-

BPB = 0 PB = 0 normal block behavior

BPB = 0 PB = 1 parry/knockaway

BPB = 1 PB = 1 high chance for stagger (at least 50 %)

BPB = 1 PB = 2 high chance for stagger

BPB = 1 PB = 3 regular block, no chance to knockaway

BPB = 1 PB = >3 regular block, no chance to knockaway

It would seem in order for you to withstand an attack, you need a parrybonus of the attacker's BPB + 2 (when they have a breakparrybonus).

On my part I've also noticed with a break parry bonus 1 or greater, your saber can't really be blocked/parried completely vs. npcs. They can block the damage if they have a high enough parrybonus (without being staggered), but they can't seem to deflect your swing causing you to bounce off, your swing sort of "goes through" their guard.

syainkn likes this

Perhaps this should be in general modding discussion. Basically I'm sort of sharing my findings, and also wondering if anyone know more about how this works. And I'm still wondering if decimal values of BPB and PB have any effect... (the game reads them without errors at least!)

I know eezstreet has the SP code in his hands... :ph34r:

syainkn likes this
  • 10 years later...

They can use temporarily breakparryBouns effect without a saber(.sab) having 'breakParryBonus 1' when they use Force Rage.

For example, reborn_new can break through your parry while using Force Rage, so you have no choice but to just block his attack. Or you may make a distance to dodge its attack until effect of Force Rage ends.

And they can also break through your parry when they grab a saber(.sab) having 'twoHanded 1'.

This option is used by double-bladed lightsaber in .sab file. If you activate g_saberRestrictForce 1, they cannot use some force powers such as push, pull, lightning because they need a free left hand to use them.  Instead, their saber's strength will be increased in parry and saberlock.

Anyway regardless of this, 'twoHanded 1' option gives your saber 'breakParryBouns 1' effect.

I gave this option to a single saber, so it can break through my defense and parry doesn't happen not even once.