Restoring cut JK2 gamemodes to JKA?

Go to solution Solved by Raz0r,

Holocron FFA, Jedi Master, and CTY, these gamemodes were in JK2 but for some stupid reason, they were cut from JKA. Is there a way to restore them?

So far I've found the following:

-The gametype ID of Holocron FFA is supposedly 2,  but when I started a multiplayer map that I ported from JK2 and forced /g_gametype 2 on it, It was plain FFA...However, with g_gametype 1, holocrons were spawning on the floor, they could be picked up, they said "Obtained Force X", and after the third, I began dropping the oldest ones as normal. However, they did not in fact grant me any force powers, or orbit me as it was in jk2, and neither did the obtained force powers' icons appear in the top left corner. Furthermore, the game info still stated that I'm in plain old FFA, I could pick force powers in the player menu. In essence, it was FFA but with useless cubes I could pick up.

-Jedi Master was again, plain FFA, however, I heard a saber falling to the ground somewhere at the start of the match. Keep in mind that I had a saber already, and force powers, so this mode doesn't work either.

-CTY doesn't work at all, presumably because its gamemode ID is overwritten in JKA, and used by CTF.

-I'm well aware that both HFFA and JM require spawn points for the holocrons and the lightsaber respectively, that's why I used ported JK2 maps for the testing. As for CTY, I'm not sure if it just replaces the flags, or if it requires its oawn spawnpoints as well.

So here's a question: Is there a way to restore HFFA, JM, and CTY gamemodes to JKA, at the very least to be used with ported JK2 maps?

Also, is there a way to add completely new gamemodes from scrach? What would be the implications in terms of multiplayer compatibility?

Smoo and Droidy365 like this
  • Solution

They were re-added in OJP and are at-least partially functional in JA++.

Adding a new gametype requires coding, and the (assumed) implication is no clients will be able to play on your server without them also having the code mod (ingame error, drops back out to menu). At the very least it will be visually broken (scoreboard, team colours, HUD, weapon selection).

The problem boils down to the gametype being identified by a number (0=ffa) and all gametypes that come after TFFA are considered as team-based; adding a gametype to the end of the list means it must be team-based, adding to the start of the list means the client and server have a different idea on what gametype "4" is (and the gametype before TFFA is now suddenly team-based).

I'm well aware that both HFFA and JM require spawn points for the holocrons and the lightsaber respectively, that's why I used ported JK2 maps for the testing. As for CTY, I'm not sure if it just replaces the flags, or if it requires its oawn spawnpoints as well.

OJP and JA++ just reuse existing entities. red/blue flag entities for CTY, player spawn points for the saber in JM. They also steal maps from other gametypes to show in the menu (based on .arena files)