Jedi Academy turned 20 this year! We celebrated in a ton of different ways: mod contest, server event, podcast, etc. Thank you to all who have been a part of this game for the last two decades. Check out the anniversary content!

Read more

Welcome to JKHub

This community is dedicated to the games Star Wars: Jedi Outcast (2002) and Jedi Academy (2003). We host over 3,000 mods created by passionate fans around the world, and thousands of threads of people showcasing their works in progress and asking for assistance. From mods to art to troubleshooting help, we probably have it. If we don't, request or contribute!

Get started

This game turned 20 years old this year, and it is still one of the greatest Star Wars games of all time. If you're new or returning from a long hiatus, here are the basics of getting started with Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy in 2023.

Read more

Splitting up a model with Noesis fast

Guest KENNITHH

After looking around casually on this tutorial section, I noticed a post from master Rich Whitehouse in DT85's tutorial about GLM Importing/Exporting using Noesis.

Oh, and another nice feature of Noesis is that it will automatically split your surfaces up to ensure that no single surface references more than 32 bones, 1000 verts, or 2000 triangles, and it will truncate your vertex weights to 4 joint weights if you have any exceeding 4. When it does so, it splits the surfaces off and makes them children of the main surfaces, so that it should still work with dismemberment and other stuff that utilizes surface hierarchies.

What he says there about splitting up models into less than 1000 verts had me interested because me and my modding pal were looking for a tool that does this for years !

So what I did was look around further into his tool and I noticed this in the advanced notes (That I've never seen this before stuns me !)

-maxbones # - a single mesh cannot reference more than this many bones.
-maxvertweights # - a single vert cannot have more than # weights.
-maxverts # - split meshes with more than # verts.
-maxtris # - split meshes with more than # tris.

For those who do not have noesis, click this link
Tutorial :
1. Open Noesis
2. Open file and locate a model you wish to split up
3. Export the model
4. Choose any Main output type you prefer (except GLM read the note below)
5. At Advanced options, type -maxverts with the amount of verts you wish to cut the model into
example : -maxverts 499
6. Press Export

Note: When exporting as GLM this happens automaticly into 32 bones, 1000 verts, or 2000 triangles, vertex weights to 4

PS:
- I know this might look silly as there are sooo many features in Noesis that you can explain but I just needed this to be out there as I was looking for this for years and who knows other people aswell.
- Also if I should explain something better or whatever , please let me know.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.