Omicron's Skinning Tutorial #2

Omicron

This tutorial will cover the basics of adding species menu support to your skin, so you can choose what head, torso and legs to use.

This tutorial will assume that you already know how to get a custom skin ingame*, and editing textures, both of which have been covered in my previous tutorial.

This tutorial I originally wrote for the tutorials section in my clan, but I decided to upload it here so others could benefit from it too. Original topic link:

http://thejawaclan.c...ing-tutorial-2/

Skinning Tutorial #2 - Adding SP species support to a skin

This tutorial will cover the basics of adding species menu support to your skin, so you can choose what head, torso and legs to use.

This tutorial will assume that you already know how to get a custom skin ingame*, and editing textures, both of which have been covered in my previous tutorial.

To start off, you'll need have multiple textures for the various parts of your skin if you really want to make use of this. You'll also need to make icons for each part, but more on that will be covered later in the tutorial.

Ok, so you have your skin all made, now to give it species support so you can customise which head, torso and legs to use ingame. You'll need to first make some .skin files, but not quite in the same way as to how you made them before. The main thing you have to bare in mind, is that you need to make them for only a specific part of the model; head, torso and lower.

To make them, you'll need to open up your normal .skin file, for this example I'll be doing the reborn.

Screenshot%202014-04-26%2013.14.54.png

This is what you should see^

Find all the lines that are the head parts of the model, I've blurred out the other lines to make it clearer to see what I mean

highlightSKinFile.png

Note: You'll also need to copy the caps the each part too, otherwise you'll get a missing texture in ingame if it gets decapitated.

Now copy all of that into a new text document, and save it as Head_a1.skin

Now the same as again, but this time for the torso and legs parts, and call them torso_a1.skin and lower_a1.skin respectfully.

Now you can do the same for the red and blue team skins, and any other additional skins in the folder, but use a different number/letter for the .skin file. (E.g. head_a2, head_b4, etc).

I would recommend keeping the parts of the same skin with the same _xx name, to keep things organised. For instance, having all the default textures as _a1, blue as _b1, red as _c1, etc.

So now that your .skin files are made, you'll need to make icons. Get screenshots of the parts of the skin that is are shown on the .skin file so you know what it is ingame, and save them in the exact same way as the .skin files, but add icon_ to the front of the filename, and save them as .jpg

The filenames of the icons HAS to match up with its corresponding .skin file (E.g. head_a1.skin goes with icon_head_a1.jpg)

Nearly finished now, all you need to do now is add the playerchoice.txt file. For the sake of this tutorial** and for doing this for the first time, make a new txt document called playerchoice.txt, and have the following in it:

*white

{

setcvar ui_char_color_red 255

setcvar ui_char_color_green 255

setcvar ui_char_color_blue 255

}

Once you have done that, you can pak up your pk3, put it ingame, and if it has been done properly, you should now see your skin ingame in the species menu with all the customisable parts:

Screenshot%202014-04-26%2014.07.35.png

You may notice that it has no name in the menu, to fix this, go to assets0, and go to strings\English***\MENUS.str, and extract it from the pk3. You should see this when you open it:

Screenshot%202014-04-26%2014.32.59.png

Now copy this:

REFERENCE MODEL_NAME

NOTES "For character menu"

LANG_ENGLISH "Skin name"

Change MODEL_NAME to the name of you skin's folder name within the models\players folder (eg, reborn, imperial_worker, jedi_kdm, etc).

Change "Skin Name" to what you you want the name to appear as in the menu. Keep the quotations to avoid badness happening.

Now put it just after these lines (it's right at the top below the //comment lines):

VERSION "1"

CONFIG "W:\bin\stringed.cfg"

FILENOTES ""

Change MODEL_NAME to the name of you skin's folder name within the models\players folder (eg, reborn, imperial_worker, jedi_kdm, etc).

Change "Skin Name" to what you you want the name to appear as in the menu. Keep the quotations to avoid badness happening.

* I made a tutorial on how to do this found here, but there are plenty of others out there which can tell you how too.

** You would have probably noticed that the default skin have multiple colours to choose from in the menu, how to do that will be covered in later tutorial, along with how to add RGB to skins.

*** If you play your game in a different language, then select the folder of language you use for your game.