Newcomer To Ja++, Some Issues/questions

hippox89

Hi.

I'm currently using JA++, together with OpenJK, both latest. On Windows 7/10 (I have both).

I had an initial issue of getting JA++ to work as I'd get a 'VM_Create on UI failed' error on launching the mod. I had to copy the contents (all the dlls) of 'OpenJK' to 'japlus' to get it to work. This step wasn't mentioned in the installation instructions. I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation for it, but that's what I had to do.

1#

How do you use 'japp_ratioFix 1' to fix HUD stretching exactly? If I type the command in the console on a listen server, the console will just reply that it's an unrecognized command.

2#

There's isn't any instructions about hosting/installing a JA++ server on 'japp.jkhub.org', which I could find. Like, what do I do with 'sv_bins_win32.pk3'? Do I just put it along side 'cl_bins_win32.pk3' in the japlus folder?

3#

Saber glow width slider + Saber 'something unreadable' slider is drawn on top of each others in the JA++ options menu. So you can't adjust/see both sliders properly.

4#

When I click on the Saber button in the profile on my own listen server, my game will simply crash without an error to the desktop. So can't actually use JA++ for other then testing because of this.

5#

When I charge the pistol the crosshair will shake a lot in JA++, unlike without JA++ which then the effect is barely noticeable at all. I rather have it like the original as it doesn't help that it shakes so much for aiming. In the option there's an option called 'View Shake', but it doesn't seem related to this issue, or at least it simply doesn't work. I could have missed something obvious, let me know.

6#

When I change some options in the JA++ option menu, such as setting all the values to 32-bit quality (such as color depth), my game will reload but then slow down to like 1 FPS, no kidding. Almost a total freeze. I'm not sure yet if it's a specific option that does it, or if it's a more general issue. My computer is FX 6300 + 750 TI, 8GB RAM

Any help is appreciated :)

I had to copy the contents (all the dlls) of 'OpenJK' to 'japlus' to get it to work. This step wasn't mentioned in the installation instructions. I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation for it, but that's what I had to do.

Nope, now you're running OpenJK gamecode instead of JA++ and nothing can be guaranteed to work.

All you have to do is put the PK3s in the japlus folder and run with +set fs_game "japlus".

If this doesn't work, post your full error log and we can try to work out why the JA++ code isn't loading. There will be more information around the UI_Create message (e.g. paths).

How do you use 'japp_ratioFix 1' to fix HUD stretching exactly? If I type the command in the console on a listen server, the console will just reply that it's an unrecognized command.

It's defined by the cgame DLL, which isn't loading. It can only be used from the ingame console after connecting to a server.

here's isn't any instructions about hosting/installing a JA++ server on 'japp.jkhub.org', which I could find. Like, what do I do with 'sv_bins_win32.pk3'? Do I just put it along side 'cl_bins_win32.pk3' in the japlus folder?

Yep. It's just a PK3 that goes in the mod folder, like everything else. I didn't think it needed instructions for 1 file.

Saber glow width slider + Saber 'something unreadable' slider is drawn on top of each others in the JA++ options menu. So you can't adjust/see both sliders properly.

Menus are horrifically outdated (for years), but also can't guarantee behavior if the UI DLL isn't loading correctly..

When I charge the pistol the crosshair will shake a lot in JA++, unlike without JA++

JA++ code isn't being loaded, so it can't be JA++

It sounds like the base cvar cg_dynamicCrosshair comes into play?

When I change some options in the JA++ option menu, such as setting all the values to 32-bit quality (such as color depth), my game will reload but then slow down to like 1 FPS

That's what happens when you confuse your GPU/driver :P Use normal/default settings if you don't know the ideal option. I believe r_depthBits 32 will do this on some hardware.

Nope, now you're running OpenJK gamecode instead of JA++ and nothing can be guaranteed to work.

All you have to do is put the PK3s in the japlus folder and run with +set fs_game "japlus".

If this doesn't work, post your full error log and we can try to work out why the JA++ code isn't loading. There will be more information around the UI_Create message (e.g. paths).

It's defined by the cgame DLL, which isn't loading. It can only be used from the ingame console after connecting to a server.

Yep. It's just a PK3 that goes in the mod folder, like everything else. I didn't think it needed instructions for 1 file.

Menus are horrifically outdated (for years), but also can't guarantee behavior if the UI DLL isn't loading correctly..

JA++ code isn't being loaded, so it can't be JA++

It sounds like the base cvar cg_dynamicCrosshair comes into play?

That's what happens when you confuse your GPU/driver :P Use normal/default settings if you don't know the ideal option. I believe r_depthBits 32 will do this on some hardware.

Thanks for the reply! :) Alright, so all my issues basically steams from the same thing.

Here's the crash-log generated by OpenJK (crash error message was 'VM_CreateLagacy on ui failed'):

https://pastebin.com/kqLT4ziD

*Edit: This error seem because I didn't run the old 'jamp.exe' first before trying to load JA++, and so 'uix86.dll' wasn't created and caused this crash?

However, even if my game now doesn't crash when trying to load JA++ then when trying to actually create a listen server causes the error: 'VM_CreateLegacy on game failed', which pops up inside the game.

Is there a way to dump the entire console in text form, so I can show it to you? I have pasted some of the console log together as an image, though.

https://jkhub.org/images/P7H7p7y.png

End-edit*

This is on a clean installation of JK:A (GoG) + extracted 'openjk-2017-08-14-a0828f06-windows.zip' to the GameData folder + created folder 'japlus' in GameData and copied: 'cl_assets.pk3', 'cl_bins_win32.pk3', 'sh_animations.pk3', 'sh_lua.pk3', 'sv_bins_win32.pk3' to it.

Ran with:

"C:\GOG Games\Star Wars Jedi Knight - Jedi Academy\GameData\openjk.x86.exe" +set fs_game "japlus"

Then tried to run it as admin, but same deal.

I was really hoping to have gotten another a reply by now. But I can at least add some more information then. As I said, I would receive a 'VM_CreateLegacy' error when trying to host a listen server on my completely clean installation. So, I've fixed this by running 'jamp.exe' + hosting a game. And running 'jasp.exe' + starting a SP game.

This will generate 'cgamex86.dll', 'jampgamex86.dll', 'uix86.dll' in 'base'.

So now my game wont crash when hosting a listen server with JA++ loaded. But I've already gotten so far once before. Now I just know why. The main issues still basically remain as described in the OP.

The game still doesn't load all the JA++ code. No custom commands work, etc. And clicking on the Saber profile the game will display the error message: 'UI_UpdateSaberHilt'.

http://imgur.com/a/NJK79

I've basically tried everything by now. I'm following all the instructions to the letter.

Yes, I also tried running as admin and with compatibility mode options. I also even tried with the original non-GoG version.

I did manage to figure out how to dump the entire console, though, and you can see the result below:

From menu after loading JA++:

https://pastebin.com/yWyAcNVi

After hosting a listen sever:

https://pastebin.com/YBfpyryr

Lastly here's a picture of all my folder and files that's related to JK:A, OpenJK, JA++.

https://jkhub.org/albums/fxkkH

I've tried to provide everything that I possibly think of that might help you help me. But just let me know if there's anything else that I can do.

Sweet, I can confirm it's working now.

Now, if you don't mind I'll provide some feedback. First, I'm more of a 'purist' rather than one who likes changes of non-technical nature to the base game, which isn't optional.

If I could I'd rather not have any added characters models, sabers, hilts, colors, etc. The new menus doesn't bother me, though. Is there any way to achieve a more purist game with JA++? I can edit the pk3 files, but it's basically by trial and error knowing what to look for. Maybe you can provide some basic hints? It would also just be great if there was a sort of 'classic mode' server cvar that would remove extras of such nature as mentioned. You can make some pretty ugly sabers, which you can't do with the base game by design, such as a saber with no color or one that's completely black. And the new character lacks polish because most lack a thumbnail as the original ones have. Some might not mind, but some will desire the same polish as the original base game. Yea, yea, it's easy to say, I know, but still.

But now to the completely positive.

*The command 'japp_ratioFix 1' is super awesome, and I'd wish it was added to OpenJK

*Having so many technical options easily available in-game is great

*Many optional server cvars

Edit:

I've just noticed that the Disruptor Rifle's scope isn't fixed by 'japp_ratioFix 1'. Is there a solution for this?

If I could I'd rather not have any added characters models, sabers, hilts, colors, etc.

And the new character lacks polish because most lack a thumbnail as the original ones have. Some might not mind, but some will desire the same polish as the original base game. Yea, yea, it's easy to say, I know, but still.

JA++ doesn't add any skins, sabers, etc. Only JA+ does.

What you might be seeing are the existing/usable base models with missing icons. There are some mods to add these in.

Alternatively you can disable it entirely with ui_showMissingSkins 0 - typically I leave everything as opt-in, but this was asked for many times.

Is there any way to achieve a more purist game with JA++? I can edit the pk3 files, but it's basically by trial and error knowing what to look for. Maybe you can provide some basic hints? It would also just be great if there was a sort of 'classic mode' server cvar that would remove extras of such nature as mentioned.

Typically, things are "classic" and opt-in. Some compatibility things are enabled by default, but no more than JA+ (e.g. don't have to enable RGB sabers or grapple to use them)

You can make some pretty ugly sabers, which you can't do with the base game by design, such as a saber with no color or one that's completely black.

That's the cost of modding sometimes.

I can't exactly go ahead and limit what people can use for no reason other than "some other person didn't like this combination of values". I allow the same values as JA+

I've just noticed that the Disruptor Rifle's scope isn't fixed by 'japp_ratioFix 1'. Is there a solution for this?

Yep, I'll have to fix it. I've added it to the issue tracker.

JA++ doesn't add any skins, sabers, etc. Only JA+ does.

What you might be seeing are the existing/usable base models with missing icons. There are some mods to add these in.

Alternatively you can disable it entirely with ui_showMissingSkins 0 - typically I leave everything as opt-in, but this was asked for many times.

Typically, things are "classic" and opt-in. Some compatibility things are enabled by default, but no more than JA+ (e.g. don't have to enable RGB sabers or grapple to use them)

That's the cost of modding sometimes.

I can't exactly go ahead and limit what people can use for no reason other than "some other person didn't like this combination of values". I allow the same values as JA+

Yep, I'll have to fix it. I've added it to the issue tracker.

Ah, I actually tired 'ui_showMissingSkins 0' yesterday before posting, but it didn't work, so I thought no more of it. However, it seems that you just have re-host a map, and I didn't realize that. So that's my bad. Thanks!

And don't me wrong, some of the unused base characters does look great otherwise, but then you can also select a Rancor of all things. Well, it doesn't actually seem to change you to one, though. If things were sorted and icons added, that'd be cool. Easy to ask for, of course, but takes time and work, realistically. Anyhow, I'll be sure to check out the mod, too.

Edit: I noticed that some of the characters still stays even with 'ui_showMissingSkins 0'. I do get why this is so technically. However, the point is, the dismember properties of some of the added ones are broken, like the Twi'lek with gold clothing. Well, when she gets her head chopped off. It's still on her head, and at the same time, on the the floor. So two heads. It might be the same with the others, too, I fear. That's another point of having the ability to remove all of them, because they are not polished to the same level. Yet, at least.

I haven't noticed this happening with the original base models, although, I cannot be 100% sure with testing more, to be honest.

I like holding LAN parties with friends, and I just know that people will absolutely make the weirdest sabers that's possible, if they can, just because they can, basically. It's too hard to resist not to when you can do such. Yea, it can be fun enough in itself, I'll admit, but sometimes it just gets too silly, you know. It depends what you're in the mood for.

But I certainly agree that JA++ does do a great work of keeping things opt-in, opt-out in general. I think that's one of its strength as a mod. Would be nice if RGB sabers and such was opt-out from my point of view as mentioned, but I can respect your decision, even if I don't change your mind about it.

Thank you kind sir. Fixing the scope would be awesome!

Here's another bug report mostly related to miss aligned/overlapping text.

https://jkhub.org/albums/Pkadz

'Human' overlapping with 'closed'

https://jkhub.org/albums/rzcBl

Saber stuff in the JA++ menu. Either I didn't notice at first (after your update) or else there's a trigger event that causes this bug.

https://jkhub.org/albums/vHmaT

Player name overlapping on the scoreboard if killed while looking at a player, or by the message 'Killed by X-player'. You can of course disable names in the first case, but maybe the game should clear such text when the scoreboard comes up? It might be an original text bug/annoyance of the base game, I suppose, I have to test, but maybe it's of some interest in any case.

The dismemberment option in the JA++ menu only seem to change 'cg_dismember' to 1 or 2, but not 'g_dismember', which needs to be at '100' for it to work. It just stays at '0', if not already at '100' by other means.

A request. I don't know if most relevant for JA++ or OpenJK. But here goes.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could adjust the third person field of view without changing first person FOV, too? Because it's nice having the extra FOV in 3'rd person, however, in first person, it causes gun model camera clipping and similar issues above '80'. The only ''good'' solution seems to be to lower the gun models down from the camera, which isn't a great solution. Which leaves camera zooming. But higher FOV just looks better way better than zooming out.

I don't know if this is technically possible, or if the FOV switch would just look weird in transition. I'm just guessing here.

Okay, so I realized that my 'request' is irrelevant. I had initial issues adjusting the FOV for 16:9 and 16:10 with original - or very close to - weapons models without any clipping at all and the original look. Especially between the electro-gun and the Mer-sonn at high FOV over 90+ was hard to get right with both at the same time.

If anybody is interested use:

For 16:9:

cg_fovAspectAdjust "1"
japp_ratioFix "1"

cg_fovViewmodel "80"

'+0.94-0-0.8' gun offsets

cg_fov 97

For 16:10:

cg_fovAspectAdjust "1"
japp_ratioFix "1"

cg_fovViewmodel "80"

'+0.94-0-0.7' gun offsets

cg_fov 90

I used a still image without view drifting with original values + 4:3 to compare to for authenticity. This shouldn't cause any chipping, hopefully, even with bobbing/drifting. Basically, it should look close to as original in 4:3. If you have better values, somehow, then please feel free to share.

If it wasn't clear, this is what I mean by two heads with added and not perfectly polished characters for MP. It's probably an easy fix, though.

MXXH7We.jpg

Edit: I did some more testing, and it seems that maybe every custom character, Human male, Female Twi'lek, etc, or a ''standalone'' character that's actually based on them, has the same two heads issue.

So, I tested more and this dismemberment issue doesn't happen with OpenJK by itself. So I suppose the conclusion could be that JA++ either causes the bug directly, or a bug fix by OpenJK isn't included, I suppose. I don't think I messed something up on my part. Would be very nice with a comment on this issue, because it kinda sucks that dismemberment is partially broken in JA++. If somebody doesn't have this issues, or can confirm it, that'd be helpful, too. Also, note that some specific character doesn't have this issue at all, like Alora and others.

So, I tested more and this dismemberment issue doesn't happen with OpenJK by itself. So I suppose the conclusion could be that JA++ either causes the bug directly

It sounds like TrueView is causing this. cg_true<tab> 0 should "fix" it :/ it's a tricky issue, trying to hide the head surfaces depending on multiple entity types, data on each entity type, camera settings, model support, etc..

1a3XpBw.png

The commands 'cg_TrueView 0' and 'cg_True 0' doesn't exist for me, if they are even commands. They are probably not, but I tried them anyway.

But I did try to turn all of the existing 'cg_True*' commands off (0), though. However, there's still two heads every time for certain charterers + all custom. I also did try to reload afterward.

Did I do something wrong, or can I try something else? I'm also willing to test out an test-version of JA++ where some features is stripped out to find the cause. If such can help. Personally, proper working dismemberment is more important to me.