Ambient Key (Mapping)

Go to solution Solved by Jedi_Mediator,

I have a map that's in the evening during a sunset. It's incredibly dark because it still mostly relies on the skybox's sun which is blocked out by mountains / hills. I googled ways to create ambient light across the whole map and found I can put ambient on the worldspawn with a value and _color to make the ambient have color. I did some testing with different levels of light, and none of them changed anything. Also, the GTKRadiant Editor Manual says this is a "hack" and it's not recommended for usage. 

Does this method actually work in JKA or is there something preventing it from working? Does it depend on my build settings? Are there alternatives?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Solution

Do you still need help with this?

Can you show us exactly what you've been typing for "ambient" and "_color?" These keys have always worked for me. For "ambient," any values lower than 50 or so will still be extremely dark. And for color, I believe it actually needs to be three values between 0 and 1 (e.g. 0.4 0.5 0.8), separated by spaces. These are the RGB values of the ambient light.

Do you still need help with this?

Yes, I haven't touched the project since I made this post. The RGB colors shouldn't be a problem, I understand how those work - maybe it's the lighting value. The guide I found said to use "23" ... so I was using 23, then bumped it up to 30 on a test map, then 40 where I stopped because I couldn't see much of any difference. 

I'll try something ridiculous like 100 just to see, but if you're saying it works that's all I need to hear. Figured I was just doing it wrong. Thx

• 2 weeks later...