JK Outcast - How to Spawn Custom Characters?

Hello,

forgive me if this is is a stupid question. I've been out of the game for 10+ years and just got back to playing again. If someone could guide me to a step by step of getting custom characters to spawn in single player I would be grateful. I did insert many pk3 files into the game data/base directory. When I try to spawn these characters using command npc spawn "name" it comes back with Error: couldn't spawn npc name. The name I attempt to spawn is identical to the pk3 file name which may be part of the issue. The included read me instructions for these files do not indicate what name should be used for spawning purposes. The only character I was able to get spawned was a Vader that was created for Jedi Academy. In the read me for that file it was specific as to what name to use for spawning which was not the file name. Most of the pk3 files I have downloaded from http://mrwonko.de/jk3files/Jedi%20Outcast/Skins/Star%20Wars/. I spent quite a bit of time researching on the net and have come to you for help. 

Thanks in advance!

Preost

NPCs should be inside of the pk3 in this directory: ext_data\npcs\nameoffile.npc

If you open the npc file with a text editor you should see something like this:

vadervm
{
	playerModel	vadervm
	rank		commander
	saber		saber_rotj_vader2
	saberColor	red
	weapon	WP_SABER
	saberStyle	5
	FP_HEAL			0
	FP_LEVITATION	3
	FP_SPEED		3
	FP_PUSH			3
	FP_PULL			3
	FP_TELEPATHY	0
	FP_GRIP			3
	FP_LIGHTNING	3
	FP_RAGE			3
	FP_PROTECT		0
	FP_ABSORB		0
	FP_DRAIN		3
	FP_SEE			3
	FP_SABERTHROW	3
	FP_SABER_DEFENSE 3
	FP_SABER_OFFENSE 3
	reactions	5
	aim			3
	move		5
	aggression	3
	evasion		5
	intelligence	5
	hfov		160
	vfov		160
	scale		120
	height		68
	crouchheight 39
	width		16
	playerTeam	TEAM_ENEMY
	enemyTeam	TEAM_PLAYER
//	race		human
	class		CLASS_TAVION
	sex		male
	snd			vadervm
	sndcombat	vadervm
	sndjedi		vadervm
	yawSpeed	120
	walkSpeed	55
	runSpeed	200
	health		550
	dismemberProbHead	0
	dismemberProbArms	0
	dismemberProbLegs	0
	dismemberProbHands	0
	dismemberProbWaist	0
}

In this example vadervm is the name of the npc so use that.

eg:

/npc spawn vadervm

JKG Developer

the only directories im finding is botfiles, models and scripts. Within those folders I cannot discern anything like what you displayed above. Perhaps this is different for Jedi Outcast than it is for JKJA? It seems really difficult to have to go into all of these files anyway in order to simply find out how to get them to spawn. I'd do it if that's what it takes. Is there perhaps a better site you (or anyone) is aware of for downloading JK2JO custom NPC's where the spawn name is clearly marked?

All assistance is appreciated

Preost

This is because your character have no NPC support. But you can creating one (only for personal use). If you open a new text editor, you can copy/paste the example of Darth Futuza with the name of your character (instead of vadervm). If this is not a Jedi, there is a little bit different, like that:

StormTrooper
{
    playerModel stormtrooper
    weapon        WP_BLASTER
    health        30
    headPitchRangeDown 30
    reactions    3
    aim            1
    move        3
    aggression    3
    evasion        1
    intelligence    5
    rank        crewman
    playerTeam    TEAM_ENEMY
    enemyTeam    TEAM_PLAYER
//    race        klingon
    class        CLASS_STORMTROOPER
    height        64
    crouchheight 38
    walkSpeed    51
    runSpeed    200
    snd            st1
    sndcombat    st1
    sndextra    st1
    yawspeed    70
    walkSpeed    55
    runSpeed    200
    dismemberProbHead    0
    dismemberProbArms    10
    dismemberProbLegs    0
    dismemberProbHands    20
    dismemberProbWaist    0
}

Then you save the file into .npc (yourcharacter.npc), and create a folder inside the .pk3 you need like the path Futuza gave to you: ext_data/npcs/yourcharacter.npc. If all has been correct, you can enter the name in the console and see him in the game.

I think there is a tutorial here to create NPCs. You can serach if you want.

Thanks for all your help. I figured missing files must be the problem but hoped for another answer. Without me having to do tons of custom work setting these up individually per character I've got to believe others have created npc supported Star Wars Universe characters for this game already, but man, it sure seems to be slim pickins out there. Tons for JKJA, nothing for JK2. If anyone's got a good link to a site I WOULD LOVE IT!