Homestar Runner themed map

Howdy! I decided to recreate a few areas from the flash cartoon franchise http://homestarrunner.com/ which, like Jedi Academy, had its heyday in the mid 2000s. I had a blast making some obscure/one-off references in radiant-- for example, in one cartoon Homestar spits a teddy graham onto Strong Bad's ceiling, so you bet your bottom dollar I shopped a teddy graham onto a single ceiling tile. It was fun to offset the blocky/single colored walls which dominate the flash cartoon with some of these details, like Strong Bad's laundry pile, the Trogdor arcade booth, or the "potate" chips.  I've recreated the entirety of Strong Bad/Strong Sad/Strong Mad's house and Strong Badia, the "lot behind some dumpsters" that Strong Bad owns. I'd like to recreate the track, club, Bubs' concession stand, and two more residential houses but I'm a little worried about FPS for an open-layout flash cartoon recreation map. Anyway, I won't get another chance to work on this for a few months.

some reference shots

strongbadia.png?w=500&h=281

800px-The_Basement.PNG

large_20080930-strongbadcoolgame-noloafi

And some shots of the map:

OJfzJI4.png

NiFHc1K.png

RdMEjFt.png

Xb9Huib.png

iCxwu4G.png

FN9cjTE.png

wheYitg.png

I6abL9o.png

• 1 month later...

Howdy! I decided to recreate a few areas from the flash cartoon franchise http://homestarrunner.com/ which, like Jedi Academy, had its heyday in the mid 2000s. I had a blast making some obscure/one-off references in radiant-- for example, in one cartoon Homestar spits a teddy graham onto Strong Bad's ceiling, so you bet your bottom dollar I shopped a teddy graham onto a single ceiling tile. It was fun to offset the blocky/single colored walls which dominate the flash cartoon with some of these details, like Strong Bad's laundry pile, the Trogdor arcade booth, or the "potate" chips.  I've recreated the entirety of Strong Bad/Strong Sad/Strong Mad's house and Strong Badia, the "lot behind some dumpsters" that Strong Bad owns. I'd like to recreate the track, club, Bubs' concession stand, and two more residential houses but I'm a little worried about FPS for an open-layout flash cartoon recreation map. Anyway, I won't get another chance to work on this for a few months.

some reference shots

strongbadia.png?w=500&h=281

800px-The_Basement.PNG

large_20080930-strongbadcoolgame-noloafi

And some shots of the map:

OJfzJI4.png

NiFHc1K.png

RdMEjFt.png

Xb9Huib.png

iCxwu4G.png

FN9cjTE.png

wheYitg.png

I6abL9o.png

Cool, I love watching Homestar Runner and I'm really hoping to use the characters on the maps. When will they be released?

• 1 month later...

No clue! I'm thinking I might be close to done with the actual architecture. Just have to make a skybox, do entity placement, and fix a few things. But updates will be few and far between. My thinking is I'll release this with source files when it is finally finished, so people can put Bubs in their map (Bubs should be in your maps, guys). Here are some new screenshots tho:

Y4e6yRM.png

5BwWkGW.png

sD2H08w.png

UpII66n.png

uNMttsG.png

KyleKatarn1995 likes this