Need Info on Garrisoned Worlds

Specifically during the Galactic Civil War & Remnant era, what were garrisoned Imperial worlds like? I don't read EU books or comics or anything but I do poke around on Wookipedia often. I started reading about the Imperial Army which is seperate from Stormtroopers and they are basically to hold ground already taken and not for direct assaults. So, they are more an occupation force. 

What I wanted to do was create a project on one of these worlds where the Rebels are seizing the planet and go through several battles along the way. I have ideas for a trench and bunker system, maybe take a town or destroy artillery or something. 

So, for those in know, what are Imperial garrisoned planets like? Are the battles long? Days, weeks, months, ect.. 

Any help would be great.

Well, if the situation in KOTOR and the insights in The Clone Wars are anything to go by, then in garrisoned worlds in Star Wars the civilians are oppressed to the aggressor's will and whim, rations and supplies are distributed by the oppressor's preference, and, of course, the oppressor's army gets the best treatment by far.

Staging a resistance battle in an oppressed world would mostly consist of guerrilla tactics, seeing as the supplies have been cut off, and would last for a very long time indeed if it ever survives to triumph.

Generally a garrison causes unrest and ill will among the native populants of the planet, but few ever dare to resist the oppressors because of their near-totalitarian power.

Edit:

Recommended Clone Wars episodes to watch on this subject:

Storm Over Ryloth (S01E19), Innocents of Ryloth (S01E20), Liberty on Ryloth (S01E21), A War on Two Fronts (S05E02), Front Runners (S05E03), The Soft War (S05E04), Tipping Points (S05E05)

Well, the general idea is the same in Star Wars, whether it's the New Republic or Old, the Galactic Empire or the Sith, it doesn't really vary too much. The oppressors oppress in tyranny -- with varying degrees of violence and a total control over the planet's resources -- and the innocents suffer. The evil empires have a little bit of the characteristics associated with the Nazi regime -- particularly the idea that imperials are better than everyone else and should be treated as superior to everyone else, and that alien races deserve to be discriminated and prosecuted, and not live as equals to "normal" human beings.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that's an interesting topic.

I would agree with @@Cerez regarding similarities between the tyrant orders, be it the Galactic Empire or the Sith Order of older times. Either the establishment, the existence or the affects were seen in the next several games:

- Star Wars Rebellion (a major strategy with internal database. Showed both diplomacy and war used to conquer worlds. Search youtube for cutscenes, both victory and loss for either side (you will see the liberation of Imperial Coruscant, as well as the reprisals from he Empire, if you lose the final battle)
- Force Commander (a strategy, showing both Rebels and Imperials and their attempt to seize the worlds. The videos from this game show the actual occupation of one alien world with their dwellers brutally massacred by stormtroopers)
- Shadows of the Empire (just an alternative to show, that the Empire had other enemies as well, like Black Sun)
- Dark Forces I (a very old game, I would recommend a mod for JA with the same name. Level 2 shows a city, ravaged by the Imperials, after they learnt that rebels were among the locals).
- Dark Forces II (we see an occupied city of Barons He'd on Sulon, "Empire surely knows how to ruin a perfectly good city". The citizens are scared, attacked by thugs, while the Empire stays in a large tower in the centre of the capital, with ruined and abandoned quarters around).

- Mysteries of the Sith (unlike its predecessors it shows an Imperial city of Katraasii spaceport with many citizens, while stormtroopers don't bother the locals too much)

-Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds (we see how the Empire deals with planets like forest Krant, asteroid colonies and others; we also see allies of the Empire, Reitha - the Imperial Agricultural world, attacked by Rebels, etc).

However it is notable, that the games show the Empire the way we all perceived it back in 1990s. Today the image closer to the Force Unleashed prevails, which does't show any cities per se, more Imperial installations.

There are also dozens of books. But it will take time to find proper description of the Imperial rule there. Though it might be useful if you need more details. 

During the KOTOR era the situation was a bit different: both the Republic and Sith Empire officially existed, while Rebels were in hiding mostly and almost no planets claimed their allegiance to the Rebels in open. Also the Sith seem to rely more on Sith ideals, while the Galactic Empire has their own Imperial philosophy, often omitting the fact, that they are ruled by the Sith. More that the Empire brought peace and security, as well as order to the Galaxy, ravaged by the weak Republic, corrupt Trade Federation and the Clone Wars with Jedi traitors.

Notably, the Sith of the Malak Empire allowed local traditions to exist further - Taris had this one for instance.

Notably, the Sith of the Malak Empire allowed local traditions to exist further - Taris had this one for instance.

Yes, however, even on Taris (in KOTOR) many of the locals had felt they had been stripped of their freedom, and put under, with resources allocated primarily to the Sith troops, and not to the citizens, and Sith ideals and vigilant order imposed upon the population.

If you mean the KOTOR cutscenes, that won't help much. The story of KOTOR is mostly in the gameplay, when you converse with different characters. Fortunately the very first level, after you leave the ship you start on is Taris, the Sith garrisoned world, so a few hours spent with the game or a detailed play-through video on YouTube would give you quite a few ideas on how to approach this in your own story, at least from the civilians'/residents' perspective.

I still say The Clone Wars is the quickest and most effective way to get an insight into aspects of Star Wars plot construction and world details, however. In just an hour or two you'll have all the information you need to construct your own story. To me it's a priceless resource -- as well as loads of fun. ^_^