Raven article on how they do 1st-person "in-view" rigging...

There aren't any legs in there, no. For legs, you would show the player model (via code) but with the arms + head turned off to save on tris & to stop any clipping that may occur. I suppose I could add legs into the viewmodel itself and not use the method I just mentioned, but it would be more work to make the animations and to code them in to work.

Wouldn't be too hard to add in legs for cinematics, but you pop out of first person view so it's not needed there.

There aren't any legs in there, no. For legs, you would show the player model (via code) but with the arms + head turned off to save on tris & to stop any clipping that may occur. I suppose I could add legs into the viewmodel itself and not use the method I just mentioned, but it would be more work to make the animations and to code them in to work.

Wouldn't be too hard to add in legs for cinematics, but you pop out of first person view so it's not needed there.

Sounds like your first, original method is similar to what they did with a second (headless) in-view model... (if I read the article correctly) so in your method when the player looks down at ground and turns head either way he'll see his feet & legs (via code)?