Fake Leaked Star Wars Footage

As a video editor, this astonishes me.

For VFX shots, you are compositing these 3D models on top of the captured footage. This means that whenever the vehicles are viewed through a chain-link fence or are passed by a bus, the animator took the shots frame by frame to add in the models to appear below the fence. Additionally, the handheld feel (probably added in post) sells the entire piece. Fantastic job by a talented artist! :)

Onysfx and Bek like this

You have to read the article below the clip  :winkthumb:

Yeah, I guess he wanted more people to see it. After so much work I can't blame him.

For VFX shots, you are compositing these 3D models on top of the captured footage. This means that whenever the vehicles are viewed through a chain-link fence or are passed by a bus, the animator took the shots frame by frame to add in the models to appear below the fence. Additionally, the handheld feel (probably added in post) sells the entire piece. Fantastic job by a talented artist! :)

Well said, Therfiles. ^_^

Saw this the other day and, as a 3D model artist and animator myself, I pretty much said "FAKE!" within the first 15 seconds.  Then again it doesn't really take a genius to figure that out I mean seriously how are them things even flying?  How did they build them so godamn fast AND get them to fly?  Don't even get me started on the AT-AT's lol.

I don't think the intention was to create a fake leaked footage. The hype was just used for marketing. But all the possible incentives and agendas aside, this video took a lot of extreme detail and attention to make. I wonder how long he spent making and fine-tuning it.

If you look at the flying sequences, not only does the camera appear to move with the Y-Wing/X-Wing, but also the Death Star is pasted perfectly into the moving video background -- unless the sky is CG, which it doesn't look like it is.

Non-video editor here, but I would imagine the VFX artist would be able to create a screen mask which covers the chain-link fence. Then you can move your 3D model about freely and have it not draw on top of your fence? Kind of like green screen except you're addng in the green areas yourself.

Non-video editor here, but I would imagine the VFX artist would be able to create a screen mask which covers the chain-link fence. Then you can move your 3D model about freely and have it not draw on top of your fence? Kind of like green screen except you're addng in the green areas yourself.

Yep, I did this recently for an indie film, needed a blood splatter to be coming from a torso, but it was a side shot and the actors arm passed in the way, so I created a mask that allowed the arm to overlay.