[Suggestion] New Simplicity Tool

I have a half finished port of ModView for OSX if all you need to be able to do is view animations and models. I was supposed to finish it last year but got put to the side for a while and I never got back to finishing it.

That sounds intriguing, Xycaleth. Do you think you can get it to a stable release? I'll certainly have a look at it. Could this source be compiled for Linux as well? A preview utility for both Mac and Linux, along with the Windows version of ModView would come in real handy for everyone.

Yeah, both Zbrush and Mudbox does that. You can get Mudbox with a student license, I'm sure. Look up some speed sculpting videos on youtube, and to give you an idea: http://stephaneginier.com/sculptgl/

Thanks Boothand. That's kind of what I had in mind, though the online utility is still very rough in editing the model. It would be good if individual vertices could be selected and dragged as well for fine adjustment. But the real trick here I guess is having a utility that allows you to import a model from the game, tweak it, and export it back into the game. It just makes things so much simpler than running 2-3 utilities with various plugins.

This whole picture of mine comes from the fact that there are so many excellent 3D models created in the JK community alone, and if we had the ability to easily tweak these models -- even if it's just for our own use -- we could re-create an infinite times more characters from the Star Wars universe. Then we could fill the void of all the extra characters who no model-maker could take the time to create a dedicated model for. With a good new skin/re-skin and a tweak, many of these new characters would be clearly distinct from the original character model they were based on.

Of course, credit will still need to go where it's due.