Compilation parameters for Q3Map2 and safe_malloc allocation...

Go to solution Solved by mrwonko,

Hey,

So I realize compilation is divided into three stages:
bsp, vis and light

If I want to make a final one, what additional parameters would you recommend me to use?

Currently I am using GTK1.5 and I keep running into safe_malloc failed on allocation of 155713536 bytes during the light stage.

So I have downloaded Q3MapGUI and here I am basically going to add -lowmem to the light stage in order to hopefully make it work.

My OS runs Win 7 at 64 bit with 8 GB ram so i'm not quite sure why that isnt enough, maybe the lights are just too complex in my map.

But what other functions should I use? For a final run, would this suffice?

BSP: -meta

VIS: -vis

LIGHT: -lowmem -light -super 2

Should I use anything else?

There is a quick list of Final (long time compile) that has:

BSP: -meta -v

VIS: -vis -saveprt -v

LIGHT: -light -patchshadows -v -bounce 2 -samples 2 -super 2

What exactly makes this one so much longer? The patch shadows? Should I go for it instead and ofcourse add -lowmem to the LIGHT stage for a final compile?

Also is there any additional tips that could perhaps prevent me from using -lowmem alltogether seeming as it makes the compilation slower?

I just attempted the following:

BSP: -meta

VIS: -vis

LIGHT: -lowmem -light -super 2

Only to recieve this error during compilation:

WindingFromDrawSurf failed:
MAX_POINTS_ON_WINDING exceeded

Oh god, what's this now? :S

I can't really help with the flags you should use, but you have a mistake. It's -lomem without a w, not -lowmem.

Yeah I realized that after getting Unknown Parameter, it still doesnt help though.

Managed to run a compile on my laptop now and I still get:

"--- SetupTraceNodes ---

************ ERROR ************

safe_malloc failed on allocation of 276824064 bytes"

I'm out of ideas after having tried every GTK Radiant from 1.3-1.6, updating Q3Map2 manually, trying -lomem with the GUI, adding _lightsize etc...

• Solution

Your map's size is too damn high. It needs too much memory to compile the light stage. -lomem is one thing that may help, or if you have a 64 bit operating system you can try a 64 bit Q3Map2 build which can handle more than 2GB ram. Also, maybe don't do -super 2, that's 2x super-sampling, which calculates every lightmap at twice the height and twice the width for 4x the memory usage.

The downside of lomem is increased compile time. Maybe try -fast or -faster for faster compiles at the cost of decreased quality.

Your map's size is too damn high. It needs too much memory to compile the light stage. -lomem is one thing that may help, or if you have a 64 bit operating system you can try a 64 bit Q3Map2 build which can handle more than 2GB ram. Also, maybe don't do -super 2, that's 2x super-sampling, which calculates every lightmap at twice the height and twice the width for 4x the memory usage.

The downside of lomem is increased compile time. Maybe try -fast or -faster for faster compiles at the cost of decreased quality.

I was finally able to use a Q3Map2 that allows 64 bit with the GUI and it worked perfectly, coming up to around 5.4 GB ram usage as I was looking at the task manager haha.

I did it without using lomem and neither super 2. I used only "light".

Wonko, you the man!