Textures & Terrain

Alright, so:

Textures

I'm working on a brand new project (a mod! :) ) and I need some snow textures! Now, for some reason, opening the hoth folder crashes GTKRadiant, so that won't do. And I was wondering if there was some kind of site, like a repository for JK/GTKRadiant textures? Or does someone have some nice snow textures they could hand me?

Terrain

In this topic I'm just entirely clueless. How, and how do I make it look good? Is there some kind of tool, similar to Hammer (from VALVe) that creates Noise to generate terrain, or something?

Alright, so:

Textures

I'm working on a brand new project (a mod! :) ) and I need some snow textures! Now, for some reason, opening the hoth folder crashes GTKRadiant, so that won't do. And I was wondering if there was some kind of site, like a repository for JK/GTKRadiant textures? Or does someone have some nice snow textures they could hand me?

Terrain

In this topic I'm just entirely clueless. How, and how do I make it look good? Is there some kind of tool, similar to Hammer (from VALVe) that creates Noise to generate terrain, or something?

Funny you mention that, i'm currently re-making all of the JKA MP maps for the Source Engine xD

This engine is kinda limited in a lot of respects, i don't think it has that sort of feature.  Making terrain in Hammer itself can be annoying at times but i replaced Hammer with 3DS Max lonnng ago so i don't need to bother with it anymore.

When it comes to snow i'd just tile it, i'll see if i have any decent textures from Hoth somewhere :rolleyes:

Funny you mention that, i'm currently re-making all of the JKA MP maps for the Source Engine xD

This engine is kinda limited in a lot of respects, i don't think it has that sort of feature.  Making terrain in Hammer itself can be annoying at times but i replaced Hammer with 3DS Max lonnng ago so i don't need to bother with it anymore.

When it comes to snow i'd just tile it, i'll see if i have any decent textures from Hoth somewhere :rolleyes:

I'd appreciate that, thanks. But I find making terrain in hammer rather easy. For normal sandy or snowy terrain just use the Noise tool, if something happens, use the saw tool, if you want to make a higher dune, increase it. Don't see the problem :D

@HunterHog no i meant that i can just make models, scenery, maps, etc. in 3DS without even having to bother with Hammer anymore lol.  I can literally model the scenery into the map and export the entire thing to be played.

Anyhoo that's a different story lol.  Have you considered making your own snow texture?

@CaptainCrazy

I've tried making maps outta models (I agree, they look better >.>) but I have 3DS Max 2014 so it doesn't support JKA.

And yes. I've tried making my own textures. But GTKRadiant is a b****. It finds the folder, opens it, and it shows NOTHING inside. I've tried .png, .jpg, .tga, EVERYTHING. Nothing works -.-. Sigh. I've followed all the tutorials on this site and nothing works. And I wish I could model decently. I've tried using gmax for JKA modelling since it's identical to 3DSM but the menus are invisible unless I scroll the mouse on them, and some controls are different. Also everything is red so it hurts my eyes :<. If only I had a mentor that could help me privately real time XD. I also model for Hammer FYI, so maybe we could work together, and y' could teach me to model, perhaps.

P.S.:The JAWA clan site always shows me notifications in real time, JKHub has a delay of like, 10 minutes. What's up with that?

P.P.S.:Do you have like, xFire,Skype,Steam or something we can talk on instead of over the forums?

Lol no i use 3DS to make levels out of brushes and such, exactly as you do in Hammer, i have this awesome plugin that allows me to build maps in 3DS as if you were building them in Hammer.  The ability to model scenery on the map is just an added bonus xD

Yes i have Steam and Skype, just message me and i'll tell you.

Lol no i use 3DS to make levels out of brushes and such, exactly as you do in Hammer, i have this awesome plugin that allows me to build maps in 3DS as if you were building them in Hammer.  The ability to model scenery on the map is just an added bonus xD

Yes i have Steam and Skype, just message me and i'll tell you.

Teach me master :D

@CaptainCrazy being such a great guy, is helping me out alot with the Texture department. Unfortunately I still need someone to help me with Terrain. :)

To be honest i can probably help with this too, i've been doing a few tests today so just trying to get it right but maybe somebody else is good at it?

*waits for silent, yet slightly self aware, stranger to step out of the shadows.